The MEN Pink

There were football papers - usually Pink or Green - around the country. I don’t recall one for London but I remember even smallish towns having their own football paper.

I would always try and buy the local one after away matches. Sometimes it was tight for time if catching a train home.

I don’t know how the economics worked out. They have to wait for all the 3:00 kickoff matches to finish at around 4:50 write the reports and somehow get them out to the newsagents before they closed at around 6:00. They would have sellers going around the pubs and stands in the City.

I used to love reading Paul Hince. I think he passed away about 5 years ago.

Edit sorry Paul, Wikipedia says you are alive and well. Sorry.

I had heard somewhere Paul might be in a home these days and has dementia.

His son certainly picked up his league title medal on his behalf before Christmas.

There were football papers - usually Pink or Green - around the country. I don’t recall one for London but I remember even smallish towns having their own football paper.

I would always try and buy the local one after away matches. Sometimes it was tight for time if catching a train home.

I don’t know how the economics worked out. They have to wait for all the 3:00 kickoff matches to finish at around 4:50 write the reports and somehow get them out to the newsagents before they closed at around 6:00. They would have sellers going around the pubs and stands in the City.
That was why they introduced The Sunday Pink as in many cases the newsagent would close at 6.30pm meaning the paper had a shelf like of roughly 20 mins as most folk would buy a more thorough Sunday paper with full reports than buy The Pink on the Sunday

The football pink was a great read on a Saturday night. Lots of insight into what was going on at City and plenty of coverage of amateur soccer. The newsagent I used to go to in Denton only got a limited supply, so you had to be there early to get one.

Going back to the 60s the Pink was owned by the Manchester Evening Chronicle. When it went bust, in the 70s I think, the MEN took it over and dropped their own Football Green.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.