The MEN Pink

Mad Eyed Screamer

I know technology has moved on making The Pink redundant but I miss having a good read Saturday evening and into Sunday checking all the local non league stuff and forthcoming fixtures and of course Pink Postbag. Here Ted Knott (Droylsden) Les Holt (Prestwich) The Pink Thinker, Sale, Mick the red fireman (Middleton) John Donahue (Bredbury) Mike Brennan, Beswick and occasionally myself would battle it out for the tenner letter or the 2 fiver letters.

Waiting patiently outside the newsagents from 6pm for 10 to 20 mins until the van speeded into sight, drop off a batch and speed off to the next shop.
CTOi4RQWUAAW5BU.jpg

Last edited:
I loved it when my Dad got the Pink.

This and Grandstand was the only way to get the football results in the 90s!

The skinny bloke with the long hair who sold them outside the platt lane stand as you were leaving was there for the entire 25 years I went to Maine Road and I saw him at an either game later, still with long hair only old now.

They had to write the headline with about 20 minutes to go so it was often out of date by the time you got your copy. For some reason I remember “Quinn Derby Joy” after a game which ended up 1-1.

blokes sold it around the pubs on Saturday evenings so everyone would be having their first pints and passing it around.

I know technology has moved on making The Pink redundant but I miss having a good read Saturday evening and into Sunday checking all the local non league stuff and forthcoming fixtures and of course Pink Postbag. Here Ted Knott (Droylsden) L Holt (Prestwich) Mick the red fireman (Middleton) John Donahue (Bredbury) and occasionally myself would battle it out for the tenner letter or the 2 fiver letters.

Waiting patiently outside the newsagents from 6pm for 10 to 20 mins until the van speeded into sight, drop off a batch and speed off to the next shop.
View attachment 37803
The newsagents on Moston Lane, opposite St.Dunstans?
I had the MEN delivered by them 6 days a week, and The Mail on Sunday on the 7th day.
And I would call in for a Pink Final on Saturday evening IF City had won.
Which wasn't very often in the 90s/00s.!!!!

After getting back from the 5-1 derby, my old man sent me off the the corner shop to get a pink final. I was only 11 but knew my football. The lad next door (also 11 but a red) was in the shop. The shopkeeper asked me if I’d been to the match and how it finished. I think he knew but was indulging me. “City beat United 5-1” I excitedly exclaimed.

My next door neighbour replied “Yeah but United scored a hat-trick”.

It’s the most bizarre little things that you remember and carry through life.

We used to delay our trips back from Maine Road so we were still in the Manc area by 6pm, on our way back to Chesterfield. Not sure they reached Disley as that was probably the last stop before we hit Derbyshire. Good times mate
You could buy it on Blackpool sea front from around 7.30pm.
A group of us went to Dublin one weekend early 90's and my brother knocked on the bedroom door Sunday morning and asked what paper i wanted. Jokingly replied The Pink and he came back with it! Couldn't believe it!
It was after that I noticed the price on it said 20p / 1 punt (or however much it was).

For a while at Euston Station you could get a copy to read on the last train home Saturday night! The paper travelled there and back in 6 hours.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.