Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

No, can't see the video in the UK, but have seen the still. It was the camera angle from behind the goal that looked the worst (Sky showed it during the game but not in their highlights.) I'll look at the City+ full match. (Also to see why Cancelo got booked - it would have to be bad as now it shouldn't be a caution if advantage is played.)
Could be this one?056B8046-B3E7-4E0A-A0B7-C6110A4C1193.jpeg
Looks bad from every angle to be honest! It was on 74 mins if that helps you find it.

A lot more than hundreds of thousands, a total of 4.7 billion viewers of last seasons Premier League, about 150 games were broadcast live, equates to an average of around 30m per match, 188 of 193 countries in the world broadcast Premier League games.
And that’s without the illicit streaming!

Looking at that it is hard to believe the VAR story that Trippier's boot caught de Bruyne on the shin. Unless he has a very strange running action, he is already on the way down there and the boot is still knee high.

If that was the knee of his standing leg, it could have been nasty, and Trippier had no way of knowing which leg he was hitting. Red card all day for me. Endangering the safety of an opponent (Unless, of course, the referee guidelines say you can only endanger an opponent with studs up. And who can answer that?).
VAR said he caught him on the shin. Can I ask where this was reported?

Just watched the replay of this game and I’m amazed the decision was overturned. Trippier was flying with both feet off the ground and made contact around knee high or a bit above.

Like you said, it looks worse the more you see it on the replays. Really odd that VAR sees that and thinks that is obviously an error and the ref needs to look at it again. I honestly think the ref must’ve been thinking “why are they asking me to change this - it’s clearly a red?”.
Would it have been overturned by if Fernandinho had done it? Doubt the VAR officials could even send the Ref to the screen whilst busy unzipping

Last edited:
VAR said he caught him on the shin. Can I ask where this was reported?

It's a way down the page. I will edit this post with the relevant sentence when I am back on my laptop, but it is there if you look for it. At the bottom it says the article is compiled with input from the PL and PGMOL, so I can only imagine this is where he gets that view from.

Edit: here it is:

"Gillett, who was on the blind side to the tackle, believed there had been studs-on-knee contact by Trippier, but the replays showed that wasn't the case and the foul was the top of the Newcastle defender's boot onto the bottom of De Bruyne's shin."

I think the explanation in the referees' forum, that this would be a red card in any other jurisdiction and Gillett has obviously ref'd most of the time in Australia, is more likely. Basically, he would have been told "that's not how we do it here". But who knows, if we don't hear what was said?

Incidentally, the refs on the forum seem to be split as we are: red, not red and once given as red no C&O reason to correct. Most refs think this sort of SFP should be red, but that the current laws and PL guidelines try to avoid reds for that sort of challenge. They made the point that, if that happened in a Sunday league game, the only way to avoid a mass brawl would be a red card.

It's actually hopeless. What chance do fans have, when referees can't even agree on a matter of serious foul play? Not to mention why the PL should be different from every other major league.

Last edited:
Just watched our third goal again and it's even better than I realised at the time.

The vision from De Bruyne to see the pass, weight it perfectly and nutmeg the Newcastle player from that distance which he clearly meant was just world class.

Then the first touch from Bernardo and the deft finish without looking whilst the keeper was bearing down on him was a lot harder than he made it look.

It's not going to win goal of the season or anything but you'll be hard pressed to find another goal with more quality than was shown in those few seconds.

Just watched our third goal again and it's even better than I realised at the time.

The vision from De Bruyne to see the pass, weight it perfectly and nutmeg the Newcastle player from that distance which he clearly meant was just world class.

Then the first touch from Bernardo and the deft finish without looking whilst the keeper was bearing down on him was a lot harder than he made it look.

It's not going to win goal of the season or anything but you'll be hard pressed to find another goal with more quality than was shown in those few seconds.
We were in the front row Sunday some of the geordies turned around and were applauding that goal . Great goal Pure class

"Gillett, who was on the blind side to the tackle, believed there had been studs-on-knee contact by Trippier, but the replays showed that wasn't the case and the foul was the top of the Newcastle defender's boot onto the bottom of De Bruyne's shin."
“Bottom of De Bruyne’s shin?”. I know this isn’t you saying the above, but it was clearly boot to knee, so that’s a revision of history. Admittedly there were no studs involved in the contact, but a clout on the knee with someone’s boot is obviously dangerous.

They’ll make anything up to try cover themselves. There’s perhaps an argument to give a yellow originally (all these rules are open to interpretation), but having given a red no one can seriously claim it was a clear and obvious error.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.