European Super League | ECJ rule that UEFA and FIFA acted unlawfully in blocking Super League (p 29)

Doesn’t replace domestic leagues and is an open competition that can be qualified for via sporting merit. Free to watch. Owned by the clubs and not corrupted by UEFA or FIFA.

Why are people so against this again?
Are you a UK based fan?

The international "fans"* seem to be more in favour of it than for a better word, the locals.

I'm already being priced out and don't want football to run like NFL by yanks. I'm also sure the Saudis have an avaricious angle on it as well as they did with LIV golf.

Maybe I'm just an FOC who has grown up finding games like drawing with Shrewsbury far more fascinating that playing the German rags every year.

This SL just sounds like the merging of the top teams in different leagues.

If English and German teams don’t get involved, then it’ll be clubs like Celtic, Ranger, Ajax etc that will jump at this more than teams in decent domestic leagues.

How many times will take for Lazio vs Atletico type games to get boring?

I'm wondering about the logistics of the 'free to view' aspect of the proposal.

Is it going to be like a free streaming service, where the viewer is inundated with adverts every 5 minutes in order to pay for it?

It’ll just be on YouTube like LIV golf was and the CL and Europa league finals already are.

Quite clearly we need to see much more detail of the proposed new competitions. At the moment it still seems very American in its organisation with a "regular season" followed byplay offs, but the ruling also pointed out that new competitions outside UEFA and FIFA had also to satisfy competition laws and this opens the door to long periods of litigation. It is also unwise to think that clubs will wish to enlist, and, in particular, there is a real danger of yet another split between the English authorities and UEFA and FIFA.

For UEFA and FIFA the ruling is clearly of massive significance. It really does mark the end of the days when UEFA could even think of telling the ECJ that the Bosman affair was a purely football matter and no business of the courts. They have been found in breach of competition law as they clearly were and their arrogant assumption that they could do as they please has been shown - yet again - to be woefully misguided. If UEFA has any sense - and it is a genuinely sizeable if - it will look at its other regulations from the perspective of competition law and restraint of trade. The PL and FA would be well advised to take heed of this ruling and the earlier one on agents fees and the rights of sport governing bodies because ALL football's governing bodies seem to be very vulnerable. I doubt they will do this because I am old enough to remember the George Eastham case of 1963 when the courts ruled that the contracts footballers had to sign were not enforceable in law and that the retain and transfer system was unlawful. Forty years later UEFA still argued that the retain and transfer system was for them to decide not the courts. Such is the terminal stupidity of UEFA ...

I'm wondering about the logistics of the 'free to view' aspect of the proposal.

Is it going to be like a free streaming service, where the viewer is inundated with adverts every 5 minutes in order to pay for it?
It is feasible to delay the Stream by a few seconds to say “ This penalty is being brought to you by John Deere Tractors”.
VAR would be the best friend of advertisers “ This decision is being delivered by DHL “ etc

Champions League has a weight to it. Look at Haaland’s comments about it, other players choose it over domestic success and clubs strive to win it.

They’re going to decide against playing in that and instead opt into a contrived, soulless marketing campaign?

No Prem club will touch it with a barge pole after the reaction last time and rightly so. Given clubs like Barca and Real have two motives for it - raising money and bridging the gap - then losing the ability to do the latter if English clubs don’t join just nullifies the whole thing. Fortunately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.