Clown car defending

Oh I think they would under some. I am quite certain Pellegrini could produce better defensive stats if he chose to sacrifice more attacking intent - he obviously thinks so because he has said as much on numerous occasions. I think we would both agree that he should have done that more frequently and that he has not got the balance right often enough.

You know I'm not exonerating Pellegrini from his failings or poor decisions but much as I would expect Pep to get more out of this bunch, I think he needs several changes making to the squad to help avoid some of the crap we see. What I do expect of Pep compared to Pellegrini is better movement particularly in respect of players being closer together and moving in unison.

I think Zidane has done more with Real's defending as a team already, than Pellegrini has at City in 3 years.

Oh I think they would under some. I am quite certain Pellegrini could produce better defensive stats if he chose to sacrifice more attacking intent - he obviously thinks so because he has said as much on numerous occasions. I think we would both agree that he should have done that more frequently and that he has not got the balance right often enough.

You know I'm not exonerating Pellegrini from his failings or poor decisions but much as I would expect Pep to get more out of this bunch, I think he needs several changes making to the squad to help avoid some of the crap we see. What I do expect of Pep compared to Pellegrini is better movement particularly in respect of players being closer together and moving in unison.

I think the difference with these players under Pep will be cataclysmic - I really do.
From all reports Pep is a total obsessive regarding coaching, drills, tactics, formations, work rate etc.
That is the complete opposite of the current incumbent in charge. Some of these players are far from poor players.
What they are is very poorly coached and motivated. It was all there to see yesterday in all of its glory. Unfortunately.

Our defending for three seasons has at times made me cry. Ah well all over soon. And we still have a CL semi final to look forward too where I suspect our motivation, organisation and overall game management will be on a different planet to Sunday. Which makes Pellers rap sheet in the PL look even worse.

It won't be a shock. He knows how it works & has played against plenty of teams who harrass & had each kind of result against it, in luding a hammering, so he knows what's needed. It's just that he has to program a group of players & the goalkeeper, to do it in the space of two weeks, which is close to impossible imo, unless he uses a load of the kids (who are being taught to do it already) & a bunch of new signings, whilst the first team are away & starts the season with a new team.

I imagine it will take a season to get close to where Pep wants but we should still be good enough to compete.
My point exactly. The transition will take time.
If he goes for it from the off, I see a disaster on the cards.
As I see it, he will need to go for a strong, deeper lying defence to start with and gradually move to where he wants to go.

I think the difference with these players under Pep will be cataclysmic - I really do.
From all reports Pep is a total obsessive regarding coaching, drills, tactics, formations, work rate etc.
That is the complete opposite of the current incumbent in charge. Some of these players are far from poor players.
What they are is very poorly coached and motivated. It was all there to see yesterday in all of its glory. Unfortunately.
That, and he doesn't put all his weight behind stats! From what I've read, he prefers to believe in what he sees in front of him.

My point exactly. The transition will take time.
If he goes for it from the off, I see a disaster on the cards.
As I see it, he will need to go for a strong, deeper lying defence to start with and gradually move to where he wants to go.

I'm not sure it will be a 'disaster' though. I think it will be less than ideal, but what we have now is a disaster imo & what we are likely to have with Pep, is the same potential defensive disaster, but, & it's a big 'but' with a proper midfield setup in front of it. Thus much more protection to avert the kind of disaster we see every week now. Plus much higher workrate. We won't have two slow centre mids in front of an ageing cb in a high line, with two bogus wingers, with nobody to cross to, like we see now. We will hardly ever, if ever, see this fucking awful system again as long as we live, once the Zomb has gone.

That might not be enough to win us the title straight away but I imagine we'll put a good challenge in, unlike this season.

That, and he doesn't put all his weight behind stats! From what I've read, he prefers to believe in what he sees in front of him.

I completely agree. The play will be structured and organised both defensively and offensively.

Also we may actually see players improve again like Kompany, Zabba, Lescott, Richards all did under Mancini.

Also you are correct any unmotivated players will be pushed to one side and not impact the group negatively. This may take a season to weed out with some.

I have defended Kolorov on here but he has downed tools, knowing he is leaving and Bony has shown little effort or application from the word go. They should be pushed to one side for the remaining games.

I think Zidane has done more with Real's defending as a team already, than Pellegrini has at City in 3 years.

Maybe but as I don't watch them, I can't comment on that. Pellegrini has his approach and has stuck to it and I think he has been too stubborn in that regard. I think he can do things differently, and occasionally demonstrates that, but he chooses not to. I'd like to have seen more pragmatism; especially in games like yesterday's. I hope Madrid away will bring the pragmatist in him out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.