Aleksandar Kolarov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't anybody want Kolarov? He's been with us a long time and people don't give him enough credit but... he is too slow now it's that simple(tracking back and with the ball) and in the friendlies when we started a good passage of play with zippy passing he was the only player reverting back to the old way of hold onto the ball, delay enough so their defenders can shift over into position(him and Nari used to kill games that way when defenses were getting the better of us) and then passing backwards because no options jumped out at him. His freekicks and long balls to release players from the back are good but surely that's not enough?

He is a left back.
His primary duty is to defend.
He does not do this well enough.
I couldn't give a toss about his comedic talents or his attacking prowess.
He's a fecking defender and a not very good one at that.
Get rid now!
Rant over.

I think you'll find Pep does give a toss about his FBs attacking prowess.

Going off topic slightly - under Pep the way we defend will be different, one tactic he uses is to narrow the FBs and push them higher up the pitch alongside the def. midfielder to form a defensive midfield 3 in front of the 2 CBs. This was the tactic he used with Lahm and Alaba at Bayern which actually gave the FBs more attacking freedom in what was essentially a 2-3-3-2 formation. There were signs of this formation in the pre-season games, including the characteristic long cross-field passes from the CBs to find the spare man - notably by Tosin to Angelino in the build-up to the goal against Dortmund but also a couple from Kolarov to Sterling against Arsenal. The article below is quite informative in detailing how Pep sets up his team. Apologies if it's been posted before.

Anyway, if you see the FBs - whoever they are on saturday - occupying more central areas don't start complaining that they're "out of position". ;-)

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/01/09/pep-guardiola-pyramid/

Kolarov will play CB this year and move on once his contract is up. Hopefully at the end of the season?

Let's hope he takes to backup CB betterthan he did to LB.

Yes, I'm not a fan.

I just love the way some dismiss him so easily as not "Being a top class defender" rather than remembering what he brings to the team, he gives us a threat down the left, decent balls into the box and a goal threat on his left peg anywhere within 30 yards, not to shabby in the air and passes with intelligence rather than sideways and backwards like most defenders.

Yes there are better defenders, but as a package he`s well worth keeping an I suspect Pep will utilize him as an enforcer/sweeper in some games.
Good post.

every one started with a clean sheet under pep maybe we should go with the flow,the manager clearly thinks he will be useful

every one started with a clean sheet under pep maybe we should go with the flow,the manager clearly thinks he will be useful
This,we should give everyone a chance and forget the last 2 yrs of mp dross,everyone looked bad bar joe,sergio and kev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.