Dunkirk ( the film )

Mark Burgess (Chameleons)

It's been a long time since I did the two movies in a day thing at the cinema, it's even rarer these days that I don't actually nod off at some point cause my last few visits have been dire. Got it right today though, first up 'WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES'. I was a huge fan of the original franchise when I was a kid, hated Tim Burton's reboot - I mean if you're going to base a film on 'Monkey Planet' then MAKE IT, don't fuck about picking bits of it and mashing it up with garbage - Anyway I was really impressed with the first two and again was surprised to get something here that, going off the title, I didn't really expect. Great performances all around with a few nods to the original, or maybe they're setting up something for the next one if there is a next one. I for one hope there is. Great story, great performances and the kind of CGI that doesn't get on your nerves, 8/10.

Finally probably one of the best films I've seen in the last five years, 'DUNKIRK', Christopher Nolan's take on one of the darkest days in British history. Absolutely fantastic job. The cinematography is breathtaking at times and again, very tastefully done. Even this cynical old git was stirred at the site of that Spitfire soaring above the troops. It's all filmed from the British troops point of view. Constantly under fire, under stress doing whatever they can to survive and get home, you don't actually see a single Nazi, just their machinery, which I really liked and worked very well. All the more poignant for being aware while I was watching it, that Reg's father was on that beach. We really need to remember what that generation went through to save us all from the forces of darkness. I can't recommend it enough. Brilliant. 10/10.

Have the Yanks claimed it was down to them getting all those troops off the beaches even though they wern't in the war at that point?
Got to see this film and i havn't been to the cinema in 10 years, does the heroic French rearguard get a mention? hope it does as without the fight they put up it never would have happened!

Was a good watch but not quite convinced by some of the rave reviews. A fair bit of repetition & not sure I'm a fan of these films/programs randomly throwing singers etc. into the cast, makes it a little gimmicky.

Still worth a watch, 7/10.

That's not entirely true though

Denmark surrendered before their was even a full invasion and the government did adeal to stay in power and neutral in exchange for support of germany and an agreement to return jewish refugees.
The netherlands had it's own nazi party and when the government and royals went into exile,(like the french government) the dutch civil service and police colaberated with the german occupying administration. On a footballing note Ajax suffered greatly as a club know to have a large jewish support at the time.
Belgium - simlilar to the dutch.
Norway actually had one of the biggest resistance forces.
every occupied country though, mainly some or all part of their civil service or police forces collaberated, the french Vichy governmemt one one of them, but no different to any other, it's a bit unfair to blame the whole french nation.
I'm not blaming the whole French nation, in fact I don't blame the people at all, it's their leaders, yet again,
you get the leaders you deserve. Of course collaboration occurred in occupied Europe, it would have happened here,
what makes France's stance different is that it was a conscious decision by the governing powers to enact abhorrent
policies, not individual sectors of government, or various civilian groups, which happened elsewhere.
That is why they get viewed as,to quote Southpark, 'Cheese eating surrender monkeys' a tag not applied to Danes
or Greeks.

No, that's correct, but Holland, Denmark, Belgium, Greece, Norway and others did not directly set up an
administration that openly and actively supported the aims of the third reich, France did.
Why?
Some of the other countries you menation supported Jewish deportation - and with domestic police. Isn't that supporting the aims of the Nazis?

If you think there were no Norwegian collaborators, look up the word "Quisling".
Every country the Germans conquered had active and fanatical collaborators, even neutral countries had men and women who flocked to Germany to join the Waffen SS including British
The largest foreign SS units were Ukranian and the Baltic countries, the most fanatical were Belgian, Dutch, Flemish and French, Spanish, Portuguese, Irish, Swedish, Croatian and even the Muslim Handschar 13th SS division all fought on the Russian front
The last SS men to be killed or surrender in Berlin defending the Reichstag were units of French, Danish, Dutch and British volunteers, when the Russians seen the union flag flashes on the cuffs of the uniforms they were convinced that the British army were in collusion with the SS, It took months to convince Stalin otherwise!

My only criticism really was that the beach hardly seemed packed with men. Should have filled it with thousands of extras.

My only criticism really was that the beach hardly seemed packed with men. Should have filled it with thousands of extras.
In reality the beaches were not packed with thousands of men, they were spread out by the officers and used their own inititave so as not to make easy bunched up targets for the Luftwaffe, the beaches used stretched several miles on each side of Dunkirk as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.