Are the match going fans the last piece in Pep's revolution?

As soon as they start paying me 300k a week I'll ditch the arfanarf and start singing with some gusto. A professional club needs professional fans.

Are you for real? What a moronic comment. The half and half scarf wearers are fans on a one-off day out. They can afford to splash out on a ticket and their souvenir on their trip to Manchester. It's the proper fans that want to go week-in week-out that can't afford it. If tickets were resonablly priced, they'd be few spare tickets left for the spectators.
A lot,of tickets,are,reasonably priced thats why games are sold ot it would be nice to have cheaper tickets but it would be cheaper for the fans that already go , the answer lies with those that go now not those we might attract if and when we expand.

As soon as they start paying me 300k a week I'll ditch the arfanarf and start singing with some gusto. A professional club needs professional fans.
I've got what I think would be a great idea. Sing stand up for the Pep posnan until everyone is standing, then break into let's all do the posnan. Should be an instantaneous full stadium posnan and look awesome.

Kinell, we’re on a roll with the “disease,” so what’s the cure?

I remember the Real Madrid Semi Final in Madrid. City fans were busting a lung, even though we were stuffed in the upper corner, but the Madrid fans were really quiet most of the game and seemingly only have ONE cheer...Hale Madrid! They didn’t even wake up until after their deflected goal, yet this is a world famous, globally supported club that sells out 80,000, has banners all over the place and was full of a good mix of younger and older fans. However, even at that game, one of the pilots I talked to on the flight over bought a “main stand, middle tier, great view” seat on walk up!!

It is not just City, even in the North West! Candlefield is a ghost town most of the game, The Bus Station is usually very quiet and only ever sings about two songs...one if they are winning (U-N-I...) and one in the second half if they are losing or drawing (Attack, Attack..!) and is half empty by 90 mins...and the same goes for all the bigger clubs with large grounds elsewhere. It is not just a City problem, but we are supposed to be a “Community Club” and need to serve our community, whether they are singers or not.

The atmosphere has to be organic and can’t be forced. However, we are watching such silky, skillful play, that it is almost difficult to sing spirited songs that get the blood flowing, because we are not a cut and thrust team, nor are we fighting for our life, the way we have in the past!

IMHO, it would be nice to have a few more player songs, and half decent ones too, instead of recycled chants from other players with a different name added (but then that is all problem and no solution, and I’m not known for my lyrics!) and a good selection of the top chants that help improve the atmosphere and create a better environment when we are playing well. (Hey Jude chorus {my favorite...easy to chant to and even the kids can do it!}, We’re not really here {although I’d also like to hear the old version of “We shall not be moved” now that we are sitting pretty on top of the League}, and Blue Moon, of course)

And, like others have mentioned, I long for a return of atmospheres like Hamburg at home, on a big European night! The singing that night gave me goosebumps and that must be the loudest the Etihad has ever been!

And, before anyone asks, yes, I do sing, even though most around me don’t! After a 4,000 mile trip, I figure that over the 90 minutes I can sing my heart out for the lads! After all, flying back hoarse is just another indication of a good trip!
I love a good rendition of we shall not be moved

Some interesting points. Railing at people for not singing or leaving early isn’t going to make any difference. It will only make them more entrenched. Get the 500 who want to make a racket all the way through the game together and let them get on with it. Others will then join in.

But, if the majority don’t want to sing, why should the vocal minority have a go at them???

That's the issue though, the government, local authorities, and clubs don't really want large groups of youths at games, because invariably it leads to trouble, so for them they'd rather avoid 'safe standing' I'm afraid. In any case it wouldn't solve the issue because us older supporters would want the cheaper tickets too.
I'm also not sure there are these big groups of younger supporters looking to start going to games to stand and sing, there are many more options than when we were teenagers and they expect more 'comfort and facilities'. I started going when I was 13 and stood at the North end of the Kippax and I can assure younger fans there was no atmosphere in that corner just moaning. It was only when I was a bit older and drifted to the other end of the Kippax there was any atmosphere. The Kippax was certainly never a whole stand of non stop singing.

The sooner we have safe standing the better..shrewsbury have it so why can't we be the first premiership club to have it..we need a good vocal home crowd..the players are doing their bit. I'm all for a good drum and an organisation similar to the Celtic model.

How will safe standing work when the whole bottom tier of the SS and some of the ES stand already and lots of them don't want to join in with the 1894 guys? Some of the guys who go in here go because they perceive "banter" with away fans as atmosphere or they just want to be near the atmosphere. Move the away fans and they'll just move with them. I know it's everyone's job to support the team but really it needs to start in the SS. You're then guys stood up. You're allowed to stand because you want to because it's easier to sing stood up. At least that was one of the arguments. So if you're in that section don't stand looking at away fans or singing about the fat lad in the pink jumper, get behind the team with the 1894 lads and lasses and make some noise, enough noise so it spreads to the old sods like me in the NS and we'll join in!

Oh and beer in seats, let's be allowed to be human and have a beer in seats. Keep the bars closed during the game but what is wrong with taking a bloody pint to your seat to enjoy whilst the game is on? You needs some lubrication to shout and sing for 90mins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having a go I genuinely don't understand why more people are leaving earlier than they used to.

If it's the trams then what did people do before them? If people used to drive and the trams are unreliable why not drive again? I could get a tram but have always driven and parked about a mile away.

Sure I'm missing something but I don't know what it is.

I think there will be a very good atmosphere tonight regardless as I think fans know it's our last big challenge for a month.

Strange thread this. If you want the crowd to be louder just turn up the TV volume like I do.

Ps. I always stay til the end as well.

Some interesting points. Railing at people for not singing or leaving early isn’t going to make any difference. It will only make them more entrenched. Get the 500 who want to make a racket all the way through the game together and let them get on with it. Others will then join in.

But, if the majority don’t want to sing, why should the vocal minority have a go at them???[/QUOTE
Bob.

We tried this. 115 was supposed to be the new official singing section. 1894 and the club gave those fans who want to sing an opportunity to move into 115 at the start of the season. Plenty did. We've ended up with singers, singers every now and again, and non singers. Until safe standing comes in and a 1894 block is created, and fans moving into that block are vetted as singers, which can't be done, nothing will change.

1894 are working with the club. We're making strides with the club, but also facing some resistance on things. It''s a process. Hopefully we'll get there in the end. (New fan boards have gone up on the 115 concourse) If we do, I sincerely hope there isn't a backlash on here and amongst City fans in general. ;-) At the end of the day 1894 have one goal, and that is to try and improve the atmosphere at the Etihad, and nothing else. Drop down banner display tonight. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.