Homeless

We spend billions on shit like trident, live in one of the wealthiest countries on the planet, yet have food banks and people on the street!? It's not our way of life we need to keep they keep telling us. It's theirs.

I sometimes find it hard to walk past certain of the Manchester homeless without passing something on. Piccadilly Approach at 6am is soul destroying (that bit of Manchester is at the best of times but that's another topic). Yes there are some on the blag which is disgusting in itself but the way I see it if I can pass something onto 10 and 7 are on the blag then I'm happy I can manage the 3. I do think you have half an idea who is on the blag and who isn't.

I also try not to judge what they may spend it on. Yes I want them to try to get into some hostel with a hot drink and something to eat but it doesn't always work like that. If they spend it on White Lightening or whatever else who am I to judge? I can't imagine what it takes to get through a night on the streets at the best of times let alone throughout a rough winter.

We spend billions on shit like trident, live in one of the wealthiest countries on the planet, yet have food banks and people on the street!? It's not our way of life we need to keep they keep telling us. It's theirs.
Deep wolfie.

The massive supermarket, TGI Fridays and kfc now where the hospital used to be in Prestwich says it all.

Yeah. I've been tracing a family member recently. She ended up at Whittingham in Preston for most of her adult life. It was very sad as she had 3 children under the age of ,6 before she was admitted. Yet Whittingham was actually quite wonderful really. It had a ballroom, a theatre and a cinema.It was probably the best place for someone who needed that extra support. Was she 'insitutionlised?" Yes, probably. However, the alternatives were horrendous.

I honestly don’t understand how someone can end up on the streets homeless if they’re not completely off their heads on drugs.

Do they not have families? I understand if they were in the care system or are immigrants but we’d never allow anyone in ours to live like that.

In our old houseshare, the gaffer’s brother was on the sofa until someone moved out to free up a room. His wife had kicked him out...

It’s difficult to tell if this is sincere and incredibly naive or wumming.

I couldn’t disagree more. In our family we would simply know if someone had fallen on hard times.

As I said, I knew a man who was homeless and he was in a shelter within nights and then rehoused as priority. He’d been visited nightly by outreach workers whilst he slept rough.

Not all family dynamics are going to be the same as yours though. Many are fractured.

I honestly don’t understand how someone can end up on the streets homeless if they’re not completely off their heads on drugs.

Really? There are many people on the streets that don't do drugs.
I understand why you think that, as some of them are. Yet it is much more complex than that

sometimes people lose everything and spin out of control,no drink or drugs involved,we are all a divorce or business collapse away from the same place

The dilemma of give/dont give cash has no definitive answer, rough-sleepers do have some things in common but each one differs in many more areas . The Salvation Army, the YMCA and Shelter do the best they can but are overwhelmed by the sheer numbers they have to deal with. Politicians have no answers, councils have no answers (often hiding behind the glib phrase "you made yourself homeless so we are not allowed to help you) sadly i do not see improvements any time soon. A start would be for the media to stop pandering to their readers and viewers by claiming the homeless are workshy parasites who choose to be in that position and are thriving on the generosity of the public. A few maybe, according to some, but it's a tiny minority, a few nights on the soup run would convince even the most cynical mail reader. Probably

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.