3 English (or HG) players

reflecting on Peps indications in this and with Hart likely to leave, Clichy close to finished, who should we target that is either English or home grown if need be?

For me (all squad players)

Oxlade Chamberlain
Rose
Ward Prowse

Then hopefully top up with Gunn, Tosin etc...
I see no point repeating the Delph, Sinclair disaster. Only bring in players who can improve the first team, unless it's a back up keeper or a young player for the future. I'd love us to pick some of the young players like Diaz to fill in when needed. I expect Garcia to be more involved next year. I'd say Rose, Pickford and Ali if we had to as I think they'd improve us.

You do love our EDS kids. ;) I've not seen enough of Gunn to make a call on him but what I've seen of Pickford I've really liked. It's also true that City were in the process of negotiating his transfer when he was injured at the end of December so my guess is that Pep likes him.
From what I've seen and speaking to a Sunderland fan, Pickfords passing isnt good enough for Pep. Whatever we think of Bravo we can see the standard of passing required. His kicking s good sometimes over hit, but not his short passing game. Maybe though it's just the way he's being told to play by Moyes.
If Gunn isnt at least second choice though he needs to go on loan and get game time, my guess for our 3 keepers next season would be Moraes, Bravo and Grimshaw taking Gunns role.

Not for me.

the best centre back pairing for me that we've had is lescott and Kompany. gibson is one of those no nonsense defenders, even if he isn't a first teamer he'd be a good squad player. we dont have to spend 50m or buy world class players every time. chelsea are looking at him swell.

I can guarantee you that Gunn was told, early doors, that Pep really rates him highly. However, things can change and, if Gunn makes it to be starter for City he will first have to nail down the back-up spot but to whom that would be is anyone's guess at the moment.

Interesting. If that's the case then you'd think we've got no interest in Pickford unless we want two young English keepers.

the best centre back pairing for me that we've had is lescott and Kompany. gibson is one of those no nonsense defenders, even if he isn't a first teamer he'd be a good squad player. we dont have to spend 50m or buy world class players every time. chelsea are looking at him swell.
He might struggle with the way we play.

It's also not that hard for defenders to look great when they play in a defensive team. Lincolns centre-backs looked pretty good the other day until the whole team started to tire and they got left more exposed.

He's probably a solid player, but we ask a lot more of our defenders than Boro do.

Lescott and Kompany were a great pairing for us, but they played in a much more rigid system, sometimes even with Barry, De Jong and Yaya in the same team. Lescott at his peak would have a hard time playing for us now.

He might struggle with the way we play.

It's also not that hard for defenders to look great when they play in a defensive team. Lincolns centre-backs looked pretty good the other day until the whole team started to tire and they got left more exposed.

He's probably a solid player, but we ask a lot more of our defenders than Boro do.

Lescott and Kompany were a great pairing for us, but they played in a much more rigid system, sometimes even with Barry, De Jong and Yaya in the same team. Lescott at his peak would have a hard time playing for us now.
Any CB has to be comfortable on the ball under pressure. They also need to be able to play the ball out from the back. I don't think he's got it in him to play for us.

I can guarantee you that Gunn was told, early doors, that Pep really rates him highly. However, things can change and, if Gunn makes it to be starter for City he will first have to nail down the back-up spot but to whom that would be is anyone's guess at the moment.
Back up spot initially maybe for Gunn but we've seen that Pep can make the necessary choices with Bravo and Willy. I've thought for quite awhile that Gunn is the long term future for the goalie position but 18 year old Aro Muric is seriously going to push him in the future. Pure Pep goalie.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.