31 | Ederson - 2023/24

Fine margins everyone was fine with it when he did the same against Utd v Garnacho and saved a probable goal
I can’t be doing with all this could’ve should’ve etc etc
Have you read the players forum?
I wonder why people support City
Most of the players are shit the manager is shit etc etc
We’ve got 5 trophies in the cabinet currently and are 1 point of top and in the 1/4 finals
You do realise Liverpool are a very good side especially at Anfield ? Plus we drew
...and sometimes people get too defensive and eggshell about criticism too. Questioning why/if people actually are fans and support City is all a bit nursery school.

...and sometimes people get too defensive and eggshell about criticism too. Questioning why/if people actually are fans and support City is all a bit nursery school.
Maybe they do ! Seriously have you read the comments do you agree with the vitriol - mostly unbelievable we wouldn’t be able to field a full team if people dropped all the players they dislike
Let’s agree to disagree we have one of the best teams in the world and people are still disappointed
The season is far from over

Maybe they do ! Seriously have you read the comments do you agree with the vitriol - mostly unbelievable we wouldn’t be able to field a full team if people dropped all the players they dislike
Let’s agree to disagree we have one of the best teams in the world and people are still disappointed
The season is far from over
Personally I love a bit of spite, viriol and barbed comments - not for everyone, as is made clear.
Whichever you prefer - your last line is hopefully true.
As for your penultimate sentence - if you have a Rolls Corniche and it has a rattle - it's more annoying than having a Nissan Micra with one.

apparently only 1 pen didnt result in goal of total of 22 Ederson faced (PL only)

pen xG is around 0.8 or bit less, so on average 8 out of 10 is scored.

its hard to save a pen but its also hard imo concede 21 of 22.

apparently only 1 pen didnt result in goal of total of 22 Ederson faced (PL only)

What is the mean penalty save rate across all keepers in the league this season (not pen xG, which is a bit different and, depending on the source, calculated at a different frequency)?

I.e. is he on par or significantly over- or underperforming compared to baseline this season?

Whilst pen xG is helpful for aggregate, it won’t necessarily reflect whether penalty takers have simply gotten better at taking penalties in general this season (missing a penalty is different to a penalty being saved).

I don’t think anyone would claim he is particularly exceptional at saving penalties, but I think it would be helpful to determine how he stacks up to the baseline of league keepers before making a judgement about whether it is a real pronounced weakness comparatively (it may very well be).

Edit: had a moment so went ahead and determined it based on FBref data.

The mean penalty save rate across all keepers in the league this season is 6.73%. For 2022-2023 it was 16.08%. For 2021-2022 it was 12.84%. For 2020-2021 it was 11.67%. For 2019-2020 it was 19.44%.

We obviously have 10 more games to go this season, so who knows where the mean penalty save rate will finish, but we are far enough along to at least look at his performance compare to others this season. And it could be much lower than last season’s, which would halt a trend of increasing save rates, after a decent fall off between 2019-2020 and 2020-21.

Ederson’s career league penalty save rate, based on the league state you provided, is 4.54%. The mean penalty save rate over the last five years (including this incomplete season) is 13.35%.

So while his isn’t amazing, to be sure, it’s also not drastically terrible comparatively. And it could actually be pretty close to baseline this season if the save rate stays around where it is right now. It could be players have gotten better at taking penalties (or awareness from keepers of a more strict enforcement of the rules for penalties has lead to at least an initial increase in advantage to penalty takers).

Last edited:
He is a,sweeper whose instinct is to rush out , it is why he is our keeper . We will really miss him although i have no real probs with stefan stepping in to cover what sounds like an injury to eddie , he needs to be more careful playing it out short as he is not as good as eddie on that front and he tends to dwardle , not convinced on him being press resistant either

I can think of two he’s saved in the PL off the top of my head, so those figures may need looking at.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.