A United Ireland

Not sure how putting two shit teams to make one shit team would make a difference to be honest.

Why not just have a European side to play an American side just like in Golf?
Would not be in favour of a United Ireland side unless it was brought back to the way it was when the IFA was formed, I have no problem following the Irish Cricket side as they do no use the republics anthem or the tricolour, but will never support the rugby as they do.

law74 said:
Would not be in favour of a United Ireland side unless it was brought back to the way it was when the IFA was formed, I have no problem following the Irish Cricket side as they do no use the republics anthem or the tricolour, but will never support the rugby as they do.

The Irish rugby team has its own anthem, especially written for it.

Won't happen.

The IFA won't even apply to UEFA (as they have been repeatedly invited to do so) for dispensation to allow Norn Iron citizens with Irish Passports to play for them.

Never mind that it is the democratic right of any citizen of the Six Counties to hold an Irish passport "without prejudice or recrimination of any sort", according to the Good Friday Agreement. They prefer to feign indignance and enjoy a good whinge when Nationalist players decide they don't want a British passport, thanks all the same, and opt for an Irish one. Effectively, they've given any Nationalist player in the Six Counties a choice: renounce your heritage or you won't get capped. Stunning ignorance when you consider that Nationalists make up between 45 and 50% of the population.

The FAI was formed as a reaction to this sort of small-mindedness, almost a hundred years ago. Lord knows, it's a f**k up of an organisation too but, in their defence, they have no truck with that sort of shite. They're just incompetent.

Derek Dougan organised a one off all-Ireland team (under the guise of a Shamrock Rover XI), back in the Seventies and was ostracised by the IFA afterwards. The FAI did nothing to support him afterwards either.

The other major problem is that the bigwigs of both organisations both like being a big fish in a small pond. I imagine that only if UEFA ever force the four Home Nations to merge, will we ever see the Norn Iron football fraternity assert its kinship with their Southern cousins. Rather like their farmers were at pains to declare their Irishness when British beef was banned due to the Mad Cow Disease scandal.

Mad Cow Disease... f**k me, it'd be easier cure that than some of the shite and bitterness that eats away at the citizens of this island.

(Irony of that last sentence sadly noted, before anyone collars me on it).

mad4city said:
Won't happen.

The IFA won't even apply to UEFA (as they have been repeatedly invited to do so) for dispensation to allow Norn Iron citizens with Irish Passports to play for them.

Never mind that it is the democratic right of any citizen of the Six Counties to hold an Irish passport "without prejudice or recrimination of any sort", according to the Good Friday Agreement. They prefer to feign indignance and enjoy a good whinge when Nationalist players decide they don't want a British passport, thanks all the same, and opt for an Irish one. Effectively, they've given any Nationalist player in the Six Counties a choice: renounce your heritage or you won't get capped. Stunning ignorance when you consider that Nationalists make up between 45 and 50% of the population.

The FAI was formed as a reaction to this sort of small-mindedness, almost a hundred years ago. Lord knows, it's a f**k up of an organisation too but, in their defence, they have no truck with that sort of shite. They're just incompetent.

Derek Dougan organised a one off all-Ireland team (under the guise of a Shamrock Rover XI), back in the Seventies and was ostracised by the IFA afterwards. The FAI did nothing to support him afterwards either.

The other major problem is that the bigwigs of both organisations both like being a big fish in a small pond. I imagine that only if UEFA ever force the four Home Nations to merge, will we ever see the Norn Iron football fraternity assert its kinship with their Southern cousins. Rather like their farmers were at pains to declare their Irishness when British beef was banned due to the Mad Cow Disease scandal.

Mad Cow Disease... f**k me, it'd be easier cure that than some of the shite and bitterness that eats away at the citizens of this island.

(Irony of that last sentence sadly noted, before anyone collars me on it).

BSE has long disappeared, so you're right on that one!

Paddy McCourt. Catholic. Nationalist. Dual passport holder. Plays for Norn Iron.

Think a combined team would better myself, just like the rugby but not my call really is it?!

Vienna_70 said:
law74 said:

The Irish rugby team has its own anthem, especially written for it.

When Ireland Rugby Union team play at home (in Dublin) they play both 'Amhrán na bhFiann' (ROI national anthem) and 'Ireland's Call'. When they play away they only play 'Ireland's Call'.

I am unsure whether they only play the National Anthem when the President is in attendance (just like we would play God Save The Queen in the UK if the Queen was in attendance) , but I'm not exactly sure of the protocol.

Other All Ireland teams have adopted 'Ireland's Call' as their anthem.

strongbowholic said:
Paddy McCourt. Catholic. Nationalist. Dual passport holder. Plays for Norn Iron.

Think a combined team would better myself, just like the rugby but not my call really is it?!

A few mate play. McGinn who scored I think is Catholic - to be honest I don't know what religion (if any) many of the current players are as I don't care as long as they want to play.

Okay I just checked my previous post out and the ROI national anthem is sung at all home rugby matches as well as 'Ireland's Call'.

Off topic, but, one of the sites that I checked it on was a BBC site about anthems, which pointed me to look up this gem celebrating that lot winning the league and us the FA cup in '56. I notice that even then they were taking the piss out of us not winning the FA cup for 22 years, bastards.

Manchester Football Double song:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfanvTHqC0w[/youtube]

It would be nice to see it happening. Sport is sport at the end of the day. Ireland already take NIs best players in McClean , Gibson and Wilson to name 2 so they are declaring for Ireland all the time. It will continue more and more in my view. Also the minority fans up there the abuse they have given Lennon in the past may well scare off some Chatolics from playing for NI as well.
The only NI player's that would start would be Johnny Evans and Lee Camp the keeper at the moment also if they could get Aaron Hughes as well but he is retired I think.
As for anthems Irelands Call simple really. I dont think it will happen. Saying that its getting closer in my view. With the 2 leagues having th Setanta Cup competition in place its a step in the right direction. To be honest I would love to see 1 league on the Island of Ireland it would boost Irish local football and the revenue would be greater for all teams. There were business men looking into that before the recession so that too could happen in my view sooner rather than later.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.