A United Ireland

I was aware of McCourt being a dual passport holder. That's his choice & good luck to him if that's what he wants. His situation in now way excuses the IFA from refusing to appeal for special dispensation from the ruling - especially as UEFA have repeatedly indicated that they would look favourably on such an appeal. Applying for a British passport is not a desirabe option for many citizens of the Six Counties. They choose instead to take an Irish passport. Whether you, I or the IFA like it, that is their democratic right.

So let's not obfuscate the issue with extraneous information (yes, I did swallow a dictionary!). Instead, let's just call a spade a spade:

I don't like bigotry from any quarter whatsoever, and the IFA's inaction on this matter smacks of bigotry. I'm open to correction but I don't recall a clamour from the Norn Iron team's largely Loyalist support for the appeal to be made, either. This hardly speaks well of them. (I'm sure they'll be gutted when they learn of my disapproval!).

On a side note, to whomever the budding vetinary surgeon was, BSE is indeed under control, for now, but once it strikes it is most certainly incurable.

I agree in the main with what you say to be fair, just pointing out Norn Iron is not exclusively loyalist ;-)

The sooner it is all one country in general, the better.

(puts on tin hat and runs like fuck!)

They hate each other. Would never happen. When was the last time they played each other?

Also, the IFA (Northern Ireland FA) has one of the eight seats on the FIFA International Board that draws up the rules of the game, since they were one of the founders. They aren't going to give that up, so even if they were ever minded to have an All Ireland team, it would need to be run by them in Belfast than the FAI in Dublin or some new body.

I think it would be interesting to see a united team. But I think it would cause unbelievable tension in the die hard norn iron camp, they already consider the 'stealing' of IFA players a travesty. After all the IFA has invested money time and effort into their international development and then they jump ship at the eleventh hour.
It wouldn't achieve anything on footballing terms as both are shite at the minute!

clarkie_ni said:
I think it would be interesting to see a united team. But I think it would cause unbelievable tension in the die hard norn iron camp, they already consider the 'stealing' of IFA players a travesty. After all the IFA has invested money time and effort into their international development and then they jump ship at the eleventh hour.
It wouldn't achieve anything on footballing terms as both are shite at the minute!

Well it works both ways. As you took Alex Bruce from Ireland after 2 international caps with Ireland. Fifa messed it up once a player plays any senior international they shouldnt be able to change from that country. Fair enough with junior football but senior football no chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.