A watch as an investment

A watch as an investment? Blimey. There is no utility in a timepiece, so one is forced to have the opinion that a person investing in the 'shiny shiny' lacks character. That's the ethics dealt with.

As to a thing paying dividends in the future (if that's your bag) I agree with the general sentiment here.. buying a 7k watch is probably not a smart money-making idea.

need advice as my son wants to invest in a watch and as I and he know practically nothing about them I thought I'd ask you guys.

He's seen a hublot classic fusion men's watch but it's £7300 and I've never heard of them so I'm trying to put him off. Surely for that price he can get something that is better ? I told him he's need insurance and I think it's expensive to get batteries etc replaced isn't it

Bob pM me pal. I own a few watches and could advise you well

Bob pM me pal. I own a few watches and could advise you well

2B293CB500000578-3196433-image-a-31_1439465104868.jpg

The only great issue you need to address is da fear of falling down one of your dark n dangerous furrows.
And no I dont care for dat oral love.
And stop derailing my new pal Bobs watch thread please.
Met loads of new chums on here and am even considering buying something fancy myself so these threads are influential and above all informing.
I have seen similar makes down Cheetham hill and the one I have my eye on is called a YES watch as I follow Ric Wakeman and Jon Anderson.
I am talking about the more complex and expensive ones and have my eyes transfixed on a Zulu.

Have a quick read of this .. ..

Thousands of years ago Babylonian astronomers discovered that, as the night sky passed, 12 distinct star constellations rose above the horizon line at fairly equal intervals.
We know it as the Zodiac with the twelve Signs. When to meet Anata under the starry sky could now be carefully planned,
unless of course the fog rolled in.

Why not divide the day into 12 hours as well? Their glassblowing skills were first rate, and soon the hour glass business
flourished. The accuracy could have been so-so, but the 24 hour conscience of time had seen the light of day.
Centuries ago, British sailors recognized the dire need for a fixed time keeping method to safely navigate the vast oceans,
and in 1884, at the Washington conference, the 24 hour GMT system was adopted as the first worldwide time standard.
Some called it Zulu time. In 1986 UTC replaced GMT as the world standard. UTC is radio controlled and is based on
atomic measurements rather than the earth's rotation.

To honor the forefathers of time, the YES ZULU embraces all their revelations and is possibly the most comprehensive
interpretation of time that money can buy. It relates both natural and modern time back to that ancient celestial
24 hour cycle. At a glance, you see times for sunrise and sunset, solar high noon, moonrise and moonset, moon phase,
military time and, of course, hours, minutes and seconds in AM/PM or 2400 time mode, for wherever you are in the world.
Sweet baby jesus eh ?

2wqvjvq.jpg

As all YES watches the ZULU has been programmed for the next century and automatically updates for DST.
It has been pre- programmed for nearly 600 cities worldwide and can be set by latitude and longitude.
It keeps digital time for 2 locations simultaneously, and has a stopwatch with lap-time, a timer, a countdown and a past
and future date solunar calculator. The 24 hour bezel can be set to keep time for a third timezone.

148nlmt.jpg

The model I am interested in I may have to source second hand and it's the MK5191
Here is Honest reviews giving the lowdown on it.

https://www.watchreport.com/review-of-the-yes-zulu-watch/

And a genuine question if I may Gerald ?
Why do you always post strictly from 4am to 5 am and then just completely dissapear from the radar.
Are you really a farmer and have to tend stock ?
My grandfather had friends that lived in the emerald isles until they couldnt handle it anymore and moved to Manny.
And why pray do you keep a pig in your parlour because we have a different thread on here for that ?.

Are you anywhere near craggy island kerrys ring dublin or lourdes mate ? I dont know any more places over there.
I stayed at the Arlington hotel once right on the river livvie.
International flags hanging outside and all manner of medieval armoury hanging up inside.
Every night they had river dancing and the atmospherics were immense pal.
Even the locals would come in as its the best place in Dublin for the crac, have a look on youtube.
Right acrosss the river is the temple bar but they will have you over for a fat lad with their prices which are around 7 euros a scoop.
That black stuff they sell that fills you up with iron was around circa 8 euros.

The next time you come on this thread mate please review a watch as this is a thread only for timepieces or as us afficienados say the Horology thread.
Or maybe your still on sundials over there ?

A pig in a parlour you say ?

202gsx.jpg
ok,heres a few answers for you mate since you asked and then back to the watches thread.the reason i post so early in the morning is not because i am a farmer but i do have a job that means very unsociable hours,it's a pain in the hole but as they say 'someones got to do it.sorry to everyone if i hijacked the thread but i didn't think typing the word ( is it a word ? ) wibble would do much harm.and now back on topic,i am a watch lover my self,i wear a citizens navihawk every day,a beautiful watch £600-£700 ) check them out on line folks and i think you will argree,for special occasions a wear my hublot big bang ( black ) a watch so beautiful it would bring tears to your eyes ( the price brought tears to mine ) it can be looked at as a long term investment but that wasn't the reason i bought it for,its just as i say a most stunning,head turning,,time telling work of art

Thread is for those that want to talk about watches.

I know its off topic but some are abusing that fact.

Cheers.

Are watches really worth buying as an investment anymore as every device has a clock on it?
Saying that I haven't worn a watch in 10 years annoying fuckers hanging on your arm, last one I had was a pocket watch and before that a fake rolex I bought in hong kong in 99 lasted me 4 years of perfect timekeeping.

lol. I'm not selling mine you tool.

Simple if you investing in watches. Don't buy new unless your buying a Daytona (8 year waiting) or a GMT (again 4 years) unless you want to pay a small premium. For example, you buy a Daytona for £9000 and you could sell it the same day for £12000, true fact.

Only way to make money is buy a used watch, that's all I do. If you buy the right watch you won't loose. At the moment Breitling, Rolex, Omega Planet Ocean are getting a good return at the moment.

Bob if he buys new he needs to buy the right watch, he could lose a few quid if he get what he wants.

I know a forum he could join where he will get sound advise. Make sure he doesn't buy anything without getting advise on there.

Only trying to help a blue out.

Got a Rolex as a present for my 30th and I'm still wearing it now 17 years later. I'd have to be earning seriously more money to consider replacing it. I just couldn't justify the outlay; I'd much rather spend the equivalent sum on a holiday, even I'm well aware though that wouldn't garner any return on my investment.

Happy with what I've got; haven't got a clue what it's worth; don't particularly care.

Agree with what others say about its timekeeping - pretty poor, but easily rectified. In this day and age do people really 'need' to wear a watch? I tend to check my phone for the time more frequently tbh.

lol. I'm not selling mine you tool.

Simple if you investing in watches. Don't buy new unless your buying a Daytona (8 year waiting) or a GMT (again 4 years) unless you want to pay a small premium. For example, you buy a Daytona for £9000 and you could sell it the same day for £12000, true fact.

Only way to make money is buy a used watch, that's all I do. If you buy the right watch you won't loose. At the moment Breitling, Rolex, Omega Planet Ocean are getting a good return at the moment.

Bob if he buys new he needs to buy the right watch, he could lose a few quid if he get what he wants.

I know a forum he could join where he will get sound advise. Make sure he doesn't buy anything without getting advise on there.

Only trying to help a blue out.

U-Boat watches mate. Decent investment?

Go for something understated but with a simple, elegant, classic quality. It's why the Rolex typically holds its value (I could sell mine for the same price that I paid for it 10 years ago - so not so much an investment but excellent residuals all the same).

Take a look at the Patek Philippe Calatrava - a perfect example of what a quality watch looks like.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.