African safari

A few years ago my wife's boss went to Zimbawe (before all the real trouble) and stayed in a hotel in the bush.
The next day they were going out on a foot safari.
The guides got the five tourists together and briefed them on what and what not to do. They were told if a guide put his arm up they must stop. They must not talk and most importantly they must not run.
So off they go, guide in front of the tourists and a guide behind. They go through the gate from the hotel grounds and into the bush. After a brief walk of twenty yards or so, the guide at the front raised his arm, so they halted. The guide walked forward a few feet, took a look and then approached the rest of the group and said "run"
Duncan said "You told us under no circumstances to run"
The guide replied "I'm just fucking telling you, run"
So they did back to the gate, where they were told a couple of elephants were no more that ten yards from where they were

Ooooooh elephants

Ive got zero issue with culling an animal in a humane way or allowing someone to pay to do so, no as long as its in the best interests of either the animal or the herd. Have you ever seen an old bull animal that has just been deposed by the next generation and thus thrown out of the herd to basically fend for itself, often with fatal wounds from the fight and will no doubt either die from those or quickly from either starvation or by predator? By the nature of hunting for trophies and i dont expect everyone to like it btw, just understand exactly what goes on, the animal is right at the end of its natural life cycle and invariably wouldn't live past that breeding season anyway.

Yes its a business that makes money off the sport of hunting but believe me, it is not some wild west shootout, its a highly skilled, ethical kill, done with not just money in mind but also the welfare of the animal and the future of the herd it comes from. I've seen countless clients arrive only to be told after an assessment on the range that their shooting skills are not good enough and they wont be allowed to possibly badly injure an animal, thats how ethical and serious outfitters are.

If the bull dies from starvation or a predator kill then that's what happens and has done for thousands of years.

Until up pops a gun fanatic who cuts out the end process for sport.

If the bull dies from starvation or a predator kill then that's what happens and has done for thousands of years.

Until up pops a gun fanatic who cuts out the end process for sport.

Bob ive given you first hand info on what actually happens and its obvious you hold a different view to mine which i respect but there is no point in us going round in circles so i will leave it there.

Fair do's.

Do you own a gun? If so shoot it regularly?

No mate i dont own any firearm and didn't own one in the 5 years i spent in South Africa.

I have shot regularly whilst there(range target) and yes, i shot several animals whilst there for food/our own consumption.

Whilst there, the farm next door had Rhino and Elephant and introduced a green hunt policy in which the hunter paid to stalk and hunt the animal in the normal way but then shot a tranquilliser dart under the supervision of a vet, did the photos etc and then the vet issued the antidote and the animal went on its way but it also gave the vet time to assess the animal and make sure it was 100% health so it killed 2 birds to coin a phrase.

Its something that is becoming more and more common and makes a lot of sense but it wont ever replace hunting or the fact that a game farmer, much the same as any farmer around the world is responsible for animal management and sometimes animals are killed for various reasons many not armed with the full facts will object to.

Photographic safari is now also huge, something i got rally into on the weekends off with the wife as we had the Kruger park 30 mins drive from the farm and we spent our weekends there. Magical!

No mate i dont own any firearm and didn't own one in the 5 years i spent in South Africa.

I have shot regularly whilst there(range target) and yes, i shot several animals whilst there for food/our own consumption.

Whilst there, the farm next door had Rhino and Elephant and introduced a green hunt policy in which the hunter paid to stalk and hunt the animal in the normal way but then shot a tranquilliser dart under the supervision of a vet, did the photos etc and then the vet issued the antidote and the animal went on its way but it also gave the vet time to assess the animal and make sure it was 100% health so it killed 2 birds to coin a phrase.

Its something that is becoming more and more common and makes a lot of sense but it wont ever replace hunting or the fact that a game farmer, much the same as any farmer around the world is responsible for animal management and sometimes animals are killed for various reasons many not armed with the full facts will object to.

Photographic safari is now also huge, something i got rally into on the weekends off with the wife as we had the Kruger park 30 mins drive from the farm and we spent our weekends there. Magical!
Sounds a great deal more sustainable and ethical than the ivory poaching that will see the extinction of the African elephant if something more isn't done about it!

Sounds a great deal more sustainable and ethical than the ivory poaching that will see the extinction of the African elephant if something more isn't done about it!

If i was to tell you that Elephants are not endangered and are subject to a limited cull right now across several regions in Africa due to increasing numbers damaging habitats so severely that they are causing other species to become endangered would you believe me?

We get spoon fed the BBC view of the world far too much when the reality is often quite different.

Ivory poaching and poaching in general, especially Rhino is a scourge, absolutely agree but that has nothing to do with hunters legitimately purchasing permits to hunt and everything to do with worldwide criminal gangs and locals so poor they will do anything to earn what to them is fortunes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.