Air Crash Investigation

Yes, I own up to the term "Big Softy" (see above) where flight fears are concerned. The annoying part is that the missus, who worked as a BA stewardess for years, doesn't turn a hair at all. She says "It'll be all over soon". That's no consolation. I want to travel to Cuba one day but the thought of six or seven hours up there fills me with horror.
There's bound to be some turbulence somewhere along the way........
Plus, I'm 6ft2 tall. I have to pay for leg room.
Trains are so civilised by comparison.

For anyone worried - flying is extremely safe, most of the problems are caused by humans being involved but we learn very fast. I visited the TCX hangar at Manchester a few years back and the bloke running the place told me if someone makes a mistake and it costs £1M to fix, they will fix it again and again if it means it is safe.

Aviation is the most heavily regulated industry safety wise in the world so chances are if you are ever in a spot of bother, it will be the blokes at the fronts fault. Even then they are tested every 6 months, medically tested every year and for each and every flight they sign a form handing over personal culpability for a £200M aircraft and the life of every single passenger. These guys certainly know what they are doing and are paid very highly because of it.

Just getting a flight off the ground is a massive undertaking thanks to teams of hundreds, the result is that it is easily by a million miles the safest form of transport. This might be a bit dry for some but it is a very interesting watch.

The aircraft themselves are pretty close to being infallible these days, technical issues bringing down a commercial aircraft these days are very very rare.

The problem is people, pilots going nuts in the case of the one in France, and more than likely the first of the Malaysian ones, Terrorists are the biggest danger currently and the odd fuckwit in charge of a Buk missile who doesnt know the difference between a 777 and an IL76.

The aircraft themselves are pretty close to being infallible these days, technical issues bringing down a commercial aircraft these days are very very rare.

The problem is people, pilots going nuts in the case of the one in France, and more than likely the first of the Malaysian ones, Terrorists are the biggest danger currently and the odd fuckwit in charge of a Buk missile who doesnt know the difference between a 777 and an IL76.
don't forget the ramp lads :)

I usually drop a couple of diazepam before a flight, them mixed with a few drinks is quality. I end up half wanting the plane to crash because id find it funny

I love watching this show, probably watched the majority of them several times. I'm a nervous flyer but absolutely fascinated by flying and the mechanics involved. Watching them, especially those with survivors, shows that even when things go catastrophically wrong the pilots can still get the plane back on the ground.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.