Alan Oakes

He scored a screamer at home in the second leg of the UEFA Cup Winners game against Bilbao,which IIRC was a 3-0 win,having drawn in Spain 3-3,after being 3-1 down (1969/70).
Remember that game in Bilbao as me and my mate hitch-hiked and stayed for 3 nights in San Sebastien.After the game two great City lads allowed us to kip for the night in their hotel bedroom,which just happened to be where the City Players we also staying.
Big Joe Corrigan had a poor game and this old guy let him know about it.Unfortunately Joe clocked him one and then all hell broke loose.I also remember a certain curly ginger haired player,running around the hallways,completely bollock naked,pissed as a fart.His son is now the manager at Blackburn !

30xgz61.jpg

City1974 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
WyongBlue said:
Remember Alan scoring against Middlesbrough in the 75/76 League Cup Semi, I was in the North Stand that night and it was a cracking goal he scored, he was a good midfielder who always put a shift no matter what, and it was pleasure to watch him play for City during the 70's..................

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXLc1CYZoqw[/video]

Great servant and player for City, no nonsense, modest, fine representative for our club. James Milner perhaps the closest we have at present to him.

Also have vague memories of Alan scoring a screamer from far out (into the goal at the North Stand end) in either the 1974-75 season or 1975-76 season against another team other than the semi final second leg game, but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was against (or if I have recalled this correctly at all and it was Oakes)

was there that night. great times they were.

de niro said:
City1974 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

Great servant and player for City, no nonsense, modest, fine representative for our club. James Milner perhaps the closest we have at present to him.

Also have vague memories of Alan scoring a screamer from far out (into the goal at the North Stand end) in either the 1974-75 season or 1975-76 season against another team other than the semi final second leg game, but I cannot for the life of me remember who it was against (or if I have recalled this correctly at all and it was Oakes)

was there that night. great times they were.
So was I . Ged Keegen scored the 1 st with a fine header

City1974 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
WyongBlue said:
Remember Alan scoring against Middlesbrough in the 75/76 League Cup Semi, I was in the North Stand that night and it was a cracking goal he scored, he was a good midfielder who always put a shift no matter what, and it was pleasure to watch him play for City during the 70's..................

He also scored a screamer against Athletico Bilboa in 1969/70 season down at the Platt Lane End.IIRC we won 3-0,after drawing 3-3 in Spain.

My mate was a young goalkeeper at City at the time of Trautman and Fleet, he always says that, when it came to free-kicks, Alan Oakes could 'bend it like Beckham', before Beckham was even a twinkle in his Daddy's rag eye.

My own personal favourite Alan Oakes moment was of him crashing into John Craggs of Middlesbrough. Craggs was quite a hard looking blokes and Oaksey caught him with his elbow (Fellaini style) right between the eyes and laid him out cold.

Astley Lad said:
My mate was a young goalkeeper at City at the time of Trautman and Fleet, he always says that, when it came to free-kicks, Alan Oakes could 'bend it like Beckham', before Beckham was even a twinkle in his Daddy's rag eye.

My own personal favourite Alan Oakes moment was of him crashing into John Craggs of Middlesbrough. Craggs was quite a hard looking blokes and Oaksey caught him with his elbow (Fellaini style) right between the eyes and laid him out cold.

Very seldom did AO ever receive a booking in his entire career.

oakiecokie said:
Astley Lad said:

Very seldom did AO ever receive a booking in his entire career.

this.

a model pro.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.