Alberto Moleiro

I'll take the British brand of xenophobia any day over the outright racism and hatred in Eastern and Mediterranean europe
I'll take none of it full stop...whether it be subliminal or overt, it exists...someone saying don't sign a guy because he'll want to leave for Barca in a year because that's what they all normally do has a disturbing ring to it for me...just saying...maybe its just me,,,

I'll take none of it full stop...whether it be subliminal or overt, it exists...someone saying don't sign a guy because he'll want to leave for Barca in a year because that's what they all normally do has a disturbing ring to it for me...just saying...maybe its just me,,,
Literally, I remember a couple of months ago, some poster saying something like that about Arda Güler. "They don't do well in the Premier League, so let's not buy him no matter his talent". Like 85 million people in Turkey should be discriminated against because "They don't do well" ? Not to mention our treble-winning captain feels very strongly about his Turkish roots, considers himself Turkish despite being born and raised in Germany, etc. My point is, life is not black and white. Moleiro might want to go to Spain, or he might not. He is an individual like any of us with hopes and dreams and characteristics about the type of person he is that have nothing to do with his nationality.

Here is a mandatory video since presumably few of us would have ever seen him.

All the usual it's youtube aside, this fella is flat out impressive. He moves about with excellent ball control AND pace while keeping his head up the whole time. If City and Barca are in for him it tells us he is obviously highly thought of...

I wrote a paper for my Master's Degree on the discrimination of people of Eastern European origin in light of Brexit. I grew up in a few different countries, but I am originally from Eastern Europe, hence my interest in the topic. I have some experience with it myself, but nothing I would like to discuss on a public forum.
Some people got killed over it. Many got physically assaulted and experienced a ton of hate crimes. Thus, to say "they are a lot worse" comes across as a justification or whataboutism. My point is discrimination is discrimination, no matter where or what the basis of it is. I wouldn't make one more acceptable than the other because "they are worse." None of it is acceptable, no matter the scale. Everyone is an individual and deserves to be treated equally and not perceived through the lenses of their background.
Great post (maybe off topic - apologies mods, but this is important). Nobody should ever have to settle for a lesser form of bigotry. It is bullying in its most evil form. All right minded ppl will hope and pray that all forms of discrimination are eradicated as soon as it can be. Wishing only love and peace to all out there who have to put up with this hateful shite..

Literally, I remember a couple of months ago, some poster saying something like that about Arda Güler. "They don't do well in the Premier League, so let's not buy him no matter his talent". Like 85 million people in Turkey should be discriminated against because "They don't do well" ? Not to mention our treble-winning captain feels very strongly about his Turkish roots, considers himself Turkish despite being born and raised in Germany, etc. My point is, life is not black and white. Moleiro might want to go to Spain, or he might not. He is an individual like any of us with hopes and dreams and characteristics about the type of person he is that have nothing to do with his nationality.
Mention Barella, Bastoni, Chiesa, Tonali, Scalvini and you'll get a host of generalizations, none to do with footballing ability whatsoever...

Go to an Inter, Roma, or Juve site and tell them Kane, Foden, Rice, Bellingham and Saka are coming and they'll throw a parade...just keeping it real...

Agree. I would prefer exactly the same in terms of a "replacement" for Mahrez. I was speaking to the general response to our potentially bringing in a young talent to add to our organizational talent pool. I don't see a downside to bringing a kid like that to the club. Yet right away people want to go into some sort of protectionist mode viewing him as a threat to our academy lads, slagging the league he plays in, and stereotyping him as the next Torres or Garcia when he could easily be more like D Silva or Rodri.

In reading your post and the corresponding likes it's encouraging to see that there are plenty of optimistic, forward thinking Blues who welcome any idea in terms of player recruitment that will benefit the club...
While I agree completely with the notion that prejudging a player's ability to adapt to a new country based on their nationality is patently absurd, I wouldn't be so quick to judge those who would really love some local, Mancunian lads from the academy make the first team. In my experience, this invariably comes from a place of wanting to feel more of a connection with the players and the team, especially from older fans who grew up with City as a community club and not the global brand that it's become, rather than xenophobia.

While I agree completely with the notion that prejudging a player's ability to adapt to a new country based on their nationality is patently absurd, I wouldn't be so quick to judge those who would really love some local, Mancunian lads from the academy make the first team. In my experience, this invariably comes from a place of wanting to feel more of a connection with the players and the team, especially from older fans who grew up with City as a community club and not the global brand that it's become, rather than xenophobia.
My favorite player has become Phil Foden. I love the idea of local boy does good. He's where he is on pure merit and just happens to be home grown. If he was from Siberia he'd still be my favorite : )

I get what you're saying as well...

Gundogan is ethnically Turkish but he 100% came through the German system. German academies and German clubs. At least two before Ilkay arrived here
Name one single player from the Turkish league who has succeeded long term in the Premier League?
The ghost of Tugay at Blackburn maybe? Though even there he was more of a local cult hero and 60mins player than a real impact
As ever its always about talent and transferrability of skills and adapability than ethnicity. But you seem intent on a culture war

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.