Alex Grimaldo

This is a great description of both. But I'd like to add tenacity to Grimaldo. The kid bares down on attacking players with a certain level intensity I haven't seen in a fullback in a while.

Mendy: Bigger, Stronger, better in the air and a superior cross.

Grimaldo: Better technique, better vision, better team play, better defender, better passer, quicker and more fluid in his play.

Both are injury prone so that's wash. I know it seems like Mendy is in the book, so the general trend is to big up the guy we are getting. But given a choice btw the 2 I'll take Grimaldo every time. And I'm a bit shocked (if its the case that Mendy is 1st choice) that Pep prefers Mendy.
I think it would have something to do with the fact that pep sees fullbacks as an extra midfielder and centre back as well, not just as a left wing back. Pep will want mendy to play a lot of the game as a false cm and will want him at centre back in other games, either in a two or in a 3. I think this makes mendy more attractive as he is more naturally suited to those roles as well as being a more intimidating presence.

I think it would have something to do with the fact that pep sees fullbacks as an extra midfielder and centre back as well, not just as a left wing back. Pep will want mendy to play a lot of the game as a false cm and will want him at centre back in other games, either in a two or in a 3. I think this makes mendy more attractive as he is more naturally suited to those roles as well as being a more intimidating presence.
I don't know about being a Center back, Grimaldo is clearly smaller. But as a midfielder or an inverted fullback, Grimaldo is far and away more suited for the role. Better technique l, passing and ball rotation than Mendy. Mendy is a bit of a clunky player and better with space in front of him. In tight spaces, my money is on Grimaldo everyday.

How do you think they come up with ratings on FM or FIFA? Is it that hard to believe that they are accurate representations?

It was an honest question, I don't know who watches both French and Portuguese leagues in addition to Premier League. I only saw Mendy in a few CL games for example. I looked at Grimaldo on a youtube video but you can't tell a player from those. I saw Benfica in the CL but didn't see Grimaldo, I guess he was injured.

I've never played either. I have watched both players enough times to be able to describe their playing styles though.

Thanks for great descriptions then. So given all attributes, athletic, technical and tactical, you consider Grimaldo a better fit for us in the Premier League than Mendy. And cheaper.

Last edited:
Apparently come out today spouting his mouth off about Barca not giving youth a chance. Sounds like a right bitter bastard. Does Pep want that kind of player?
You're probably missing the context mate. He's right, the current Barca's board is ruining the club, betraying traditions and changing youth policy that was so successful since Cruyff's reform - Pep's team and Spanish NT were basically an icing on the cake of 20 year project. Someone had to say it publicly, Grimaldo isn't showing any bitterness here at all.
As I know, adequate Barca supporters see Grimaldo's departure as one of the major f*ck ups of Enrique and Rosell/Bartomeu board, the overall quality of their transfers has been horrendous. And they are the main reason why Pep had left Barca.

It was an honest question, I don't know who watches both French and Portuguese leagues in addition to Premier League. I only saw Mendy in a few CL games for example. I looked at Grimaldo on a youtube video but you can't tell a player from those. I saw Benfica in the CL but didn't see Grimaldo, I guess he was injured.

Thanks for great descriptions then. So given all attributes, athletic, technical and tactical, you consider Grimaldo a better fit for us in the Premier League than Mendy. And cheaper.
In my view, yes. But then again, I am partial in favor of technique over physicality.

I think Grimaldo is a better fit for us (or any possession based team), regardless of whether the team plays in the Prem or elsewhere. Also he is an aggressive tenacious footballer, so the physicality of the league wouldn't phase him.

You're probably missing the context mate. He's right, the current Barca's board is ruining the club, betraying traditions and changing youth policy that was so successful since Cruyff's reform - Pep's team and Spanish NT were basically an icing on the cake of 20 year project. Someone had to say it publicly, Grimaldo isn't showing any bitterness here at all.
As I know, adequate Barca supporters see Grimaldo's departure as one of the major f*ck ups of Enrique and Rosell/Bartomeu board, the overall quality of their transfers has been horrendous. And they are the main reason why Pep had left Barca.

You're no doubt right mate and he probably is too, but still, seems a bit unprofessional to come out and say it. I'm generalising here and it may well not be the case with him but there's generally an attitude problem with players that are all too willing to pass comments like this in the media. We've had a few in the past ourselves.

Bullshit

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.