Angelino & Maffeo

Thought they both looked pretty average in the two games they started this season. Wouldn't mind seeing them get another chance though

Average is Zabba and AK at full back and they cant be any worse so lets give them a go.

I didnt see anything wrong with our fullbacks. I read a lot of that shite in the papers but tbh Pep keeps on choosing Zabba and it is for more than just technical ability.

So when Angelino and Maffeo do play (And I wouldnt have pitched them into a CL game against Barca) they will be ready. Question is do you guys trust Pep to make that call?

If they were better than what we already had, they would be playing.

Unless of course, the jury of bluemoon are a better judge of player than Pep Guardiola.
With the number of football experts on here, at least when Guardiola moves on we will be spoilt for choice for the next manager.

If Maffeo had a real chance he'd have come on for the injured Zabaleta last night?

Yeah coming on away to Barca with 10 men is the the perfect situation for a 19 year old right back.

Pep had to decide between a 19 year old and keep the back four more or less the same or an experienced pro and reshuffling our back four. Both decisions were fraught with danger but he chose the less risky option as if Maffeo had been destroyed it would have had a serious effect on his confidence.

Firstly, they don't come as a pair and shouldn't be considered as a duo moving forward. After going on a run of 4 games without a win, I doubt many clubs would then go and throw in two incredibly inexperienced young lads in the same game. If you take one, you're probably going with Maffeo because of Sagna and Zaba's injuries. But with Kompany coming back I'd imagine there is a higher chance of us going to a three man defense because getting him back into the first team is more important then the young lads.

Usually I'm all for youth, but there is some rubbish on this thread. They will be ready for the first team when Guardiola says they are ready for the first team. If they aren't good enough in his opinion they aren't good enough. Just back Pep's decisions 100% and we'll be happy.

It's funny how short some people's memories are - a few weeks ago we won 10 straight games playing our 'average' full backs.

Yeah coming on away to Barca with 10 men is the the perfect situation for a 19 year old right back.

Pep had to decide between a 19 year old and keep the back four more or less the same or an experienced pro and reshuffling our back four. Both decisions were fraught with danger but he chose the less risky option as if Maffeo had been destroyed it would have had a serious effect on his confidence.

What was the point of him being on the bench then? He is certainly more experienced than Otamendi at right back anyway

Also, if it'd effect his confidence then he'll never make it at the top level, he'd more than likely come away full of beans regardless of the result as he'd have learnt a lot more playing vs one of the best wingers in the world than he will barely having to do anything vs say Almen Abdi of Sheffield Wednesday in the 3rd round of the fa cup.

Firstly, they don't come as a pair and shouldn't be considered as a duo moving forward. After going on a run of 4 games without a win, I doubt many clubs would then go and throw in two incredibly inexperienced young lads in the same game. If you take one, you're probably going with Maffeo because of Sagna and Zaba's injuries. But with Kompany coming back I'd imagine there is a higher chance of us going to a three man defense because getting him back into the first team is more important then the young lads.

Usually I'm all for youth, but there is some rubbish on this thread. They will be ready for the first team when Guardiola says they are ready for the first team. If they aren't good enough in his opinion they aren't good enough. Just back Pep's decisions 100% and we'll be happy.

It's funny how short some people's memories are - a few weeks ago we won 10 straight games playing our 'average' full backs.

They are a pair in the context of a point you've missed, and that's their development path. Both are at a stage and age where they are in and around the senior team and have been for a while. I'm not saying they should be treated as a tandem and played together, but for instance Maffeo is surely first choice RB this weekend, and if Pep doesnt think he's good enough he'll opt for either 3 at the back with Sane as a WB or play Clichy at RB. That may be in the interest of a win, but surely every game where there's a shot at these lads starting that we dont give them between now and Xmas probably lessens the chance of them ever forcing their way into the team.

They are a pair in the context of a point you've missed, and that's their development path. Both are at a stage and age where they are in and around the senior team and have been for a while. I'm not saying they should be treated as a tandem and played together, but for instance Maffeo is surely first choice RB this weekend, and if Pep doesnt think he's good enough he'll opt for either 3 at the back with Sane as a WB or play Clichy at RB. That may be in the interest of a win, but surely every game where there's a shot at these lads starting that we dont give them between now and Xmas probably lessens the chance of them ever forcing their way into the team.
I do agree with what you're saying. BUT, the big question we need to ask is 'are they good enough NOW'. If the answer is no, then the type of club we are, we shouldn't be settling, that's the difference between being a Real Madrid or an Arsenal IMO. Maffeo would be the highest rated right back, because he's the ONLY senior right back, it doesn't make him good enough.

I don't know the answer to that question. I'm sure Guardiola does, and I trust his judgement. If we think they can progress to the point where they are good enough, but they feel they need first team football, then unfortunately we should let them go.

I just think Pep would have played one of them v Everton if he rated them, instead he's shown that he'll be more flexible with the formations rather then the names on the team sheet.

I do agree with what you're saying. BUT, the big question we need to ask is 'are they good enough NOW'. If the answer is no, then the type of club we are, we shouldn't be settling, that's the difference between being a Real Madrid or an Arsenal IMO. Maffeo would be the highest rated right back, because he's the ONLY senior right back, it doesn't make him good enough.

I don't know the answer to that question. I'm sure Guardiola does, and I trust his judgement. If we think they can progress to the point where they are good enough, but they feel they need first team football, then unfortunately we should let them go.

I just think Pep would have played one of them v Everton if he rated them, instead he's shown that he'll be more flexible with the formations rather then the names on the team sheet.

I agree with your last point there. Everton definitely said something on it. This weekend will be interesting as Pep will likely expect a more pro-active approach from Southampton to get at us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.