"Are Barcelona the best team ever?"

It's a pleasure to watch Barca!I didn't like them in the past but the football they play it's amazing!I can't say the same about Real Madrid!

Brazil 70
Brazil 82
Milan guilet ,van basten etc
red scouse that beat forest (5.1 i think) dagliesh etc
arsenal bergamp era
the cuurent barca

its very difficult to compare teams from different eras

is about what they,ve won or how good they are to watch

IrishMacca said:
Project said:
Why debate the defence when you can't get the ball off them to even test it :-)

Barcelona are definitely the best team i've seen in my lifetime. Though i'm only 26, so that opinion only carries so much weight.

Because their defence is their weakness.
They are an incredible team, and will probably go on to win the thing, as they did last year.
But I wouldn't let the hype of the media take you away.

I mean how much of it is genuine and how much of it is media hype. Would you take every single player of the Barca team and have them as starters for City?

With all due respect Sir I probably watch more Spanish football than English, and have done for the past 10 years. It's only now that the English media seems to be jumping on the bandwagon.

fat boy blue said:
Brazil 70
Brazil 82
Brazil 82 didn't even qualify for the semi finals, so Italy 82 and West Germany 82 among other teams were better.

My vote goes to Ajax 1972-74. Won the European Cup three years in a row. If Barca win the Champions League this year and again next year, then maybe.....

barney8 said:
fat boy blue said:
Brazil 70
Brazil 82
Brazil 82 didn't even qualify for the semi finals, so Italy 82 and West Germany 82 among other teams were better.

My vote goes to Ajax 1972-74. Won the European Cup three years in a row. If Barca win the Champions League this year and again next year, then maybe.....

Good shout that mate Ajax they were an awesome side so were the Dutch national side that got to the 74+ 78 world cup final fucking amazing they didnt win one of those finals, tho both finals being played in the oppositions back yard didnt help

Manc in London said:
depps said:
Mate what do you mean a stuttering Madrid?? This is a phenomenal Madrid team also, have a look at the league table and tell me there is a single team in the Prem that would kill for either teams record this season. Every team in the Premier League has played more games and won less points.

Current Spanish table:

1 Real Madrid 30 25 2 3 83 26 77
2 Barcelona 30 24 5 1 75 19 77
3 Valencia 30 16 8 6 48 32 56
4 Mallorca 30 14 6 10 46 34 48

Last years final table:

1 Barcelona (C) 38 27 6 5 105 35 +70 87
2 Real Madrid 38 25 3 10 83 52 +31 78
3 Sevilla 38 21 7 10 54 39 +15 70
4 Atlético Madrid 38 20 7 11 80 57 +23 67

If anything both Madrid and Barca will end up with more points this season than Braca last season.

Barca may not be the best team ever but you can not use how close Madrid are to them in la Liga as a point to prove that.

Fair enough. Good point, well-made.

Madrid and Barca are close in the league, while Mardrid have looked relatively poor in Europe. I cannot understand why it's wrong to say they are 'stuttering' when they have not performed in Europe for a few years. You are claiming that a team has improved because they have more points. I would suggest that is as much to do with La Liga as a whole looking fairly weak.

The point is that a poster stated they are the best team ever, even though Mardid are close to them in La Liga, and yet this current Mardid team are nowhere near as good as previous teams who played at the Bernabau (regardless of how many points they have). Fair enough that you are using a more scientific approach (using points accumulated) to justify your view. However, I cannot believe that Real are anywhere close to matching any of their great sides.

I would also suggest that Barca are assisted by La Liga being relatively weak. It's not as if they have to play with full intensity each week like the Prem clubs do. I am not necessarily claiming that any English team is better than Barca, but it's easy to perform better in the likes of the CL when you only have about 6 tough league matches each season.

Some believe that last years Barca team were better. If it wasn't for poor officating, Chelsea would have knocked them out of the CL. Chelsea were the better team both home and away.

I honestly think that the Barca team of the last two years would have been picked off by a number of Italian sides from the late 80s / early 90s. There's no way that Messi would have been able to run through those Italian defences at will.

I am only 24 so can't really comment on the Milan sides of late 80s/90s and anyway I ain't trying to say that this Barcelona side are the greatest side ever although I would argue they are the greatest team I have ever seen.

My point was that you have said Barcelona aren't so great because they aren't even clear of Madrid at the top of La Liga and I was trying to show you that that is a rubbish argument as they would have to have won pretty much every single game to be well clear of this current Madrid team. Its not a comment about how great a team Madrid currently are (as they aren't because they have yet to achieve anything but could in the future become a great team) but just as a side note anyway on the subject of Real 'stuttering' their Champions League record in the before going out to Lyon was W4 D1 L1, that's hardly terrible is it? And anybody can be beaten over a two legged tie.

As to the 'relative weakness' of La Liga, relative to what? Other leagues or La Liga in the past? On both counts I would argue that La Liga is as strong as it has ever been and that the only reason Real and Barca are so far ahead this season is because they are both extremely strong teams by any standards

Edwin van der Sar
Michael Reiziger
Danny Blind (c)
Frank de Boer
Frank Rijkaard
Clarence Seedorf
Edgar Davids
Jari Litmanen
Finidi George
Ronald de Boer
Marc Overmars
Substitutions:
Fred Grim
Winston Bogarde
Nwankwo Kanu
Patrick Kluivert
Peter van Vossen

Source: wiki

This is the young Ajax team that beat AC Milan in the final of the 1995 European Cup,MIlan were going for 3 in a row,and were clearly the strongest team of that era,i believe however that this Ajax team had it not been broken up would of gone on to dominate European football for years to come,

good shouts on ajax, milan, and dare i say rags '99 but of those three, milan achieved over a longer period. i wasn't around for brazil '70 but watch footage of them whenever i can. barca are certainly one of the best teams i've ever seen in my lifetime. i would drag into a fantasy tournament - france 2000, holland '88 and arsenal 2004. would put city of 2012-13 in there as well.

Debates like this are pointless to be honest, it's impossible to compare this Barca team to, let's say Brazil 1970. Different eras altogether, different competition.

I'd say let's just enjoy this Barca team whilst they are at the top of their game, because they are without doubt a joy to watch, and there have been some special Barca teams this century alone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.