Are City Full of 'Galacticos'...?

From Jason Burt in today's Telegraph:

Predictably it has fuelled claims that City have bought the league – every champion, with the wonderful exception of Leicester City in recent years, faces that claim – and while they have spent exorbitant amounts it is not just about the money. It is not as if Lionel Messi and Neymar have rocked up at the Etihad. They have bought big, they have paid a premium but they have also scouted smartly and bought smartly: Leroy Sane, Ederson and, to an extent, Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy were clever signings not stellar ones. They bought potential, as well.

Absolutely not. The term derived from the Real Madrid days of buying the worlds best players when they are the best/at their peak. Zidane, Figo, Beckham, Ronaldo etc.

I can't actually remember the last time we bought a player that fell into that category - even KDB was recognised as world class at the time. The last I could probably say was a 'Galatico' style signing was Robinho (Even though that didn't turn out to well) or Aguero?!

People will have different opinions of course but this is how I would define it

Galacticos are expensive world class footballers signed for their reputation rather than necessity.

So if Barca or Madrid had signed silva in the last couple of years for a massive fee, he would be called a galactico signing, we signed him for areson amd a small fee, so not a galactico signing.

That doesn't diminish his brilliance and world class status.

If anything Robinho may be classed as a galactico signing for us at the time, we sign what we need and fees we think necessary, turning down sanchez, marhez, and even hazzard at the time proves we don't use the galactico model of spend whatever no matter if it is needed or not.
Who came up with that?

A Glactico is just a player Real Madrid deem good enough to sign. With them signing them and winning numerous titles i think you can say they are a necessity.

Nope but a team very talented and hardworking players playing as a unit and having belief in the system and having the ability to execute it

Who came up with that?

A Glactico is just a player Real Madrid deem good enough to sign. With them signing them and winning numerous titles i think you can say they are a necessity.

Jonathan Woodgate, Tommy Graveson and Julian Faubert are all galacticos

Who came up with that?

The phrase was coined for a tactic of Pirerez to Buy overpriced established world.stars, it has since. become language across sport for this tactic, doesn't necessarily have to be Real

Galacticos are purely for Real Madrid. Ronaldo, James Rodriguez, Kaka usually world record fee or close to it, eye catching exciting style of play and fairly good looking. Not sure the latter applies to Bale though.
He's probably quite attractive to the average female chimpanzee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.