Are we witnessing the break up of the old guard ?

Evolution, only the strong will survive pep evolving us into the alpha team of club football

Yesterday's decision to select Willy ahead of Joe Hart was a pretty big call and one that seemed to upset most blues. I think it was an important and powerful move, add that to Vinny seemingly no longer being captain and it is Guardiola clearly demonstrating who's in charge.

This is pure speculation on my part but has Guardiola come in seen the squad dynamics and realised he had to do something to break up the City old guard clique?

Yesterday's team was telling, Yaya not picked, Hart dropped, Nasri seemingly being put up for sale, Vinny training but not being considered fully fit, Zabaleta at some point rumoured to be moving on, subbed after 20 minutes in the St Johnstone friendly, and not picked yesterday. These are all City greats, all the strong characters in the squad. Had they become too powerful and controlling of the dressing room ? Has Guardiola decided that he needs to reassert power.

Pellegrini seemed to let the dressing room dominate him which was stifling the youth, having a possible negative effect on the likes of Sterling (look at him yesterday) Delph and others. The only old guard players picked yesterday were Aguero, Silva, Kolarov, Clichy, Fernandinho - I would suggest the quieter and less domineering characters, those more willing to conform and keep their heads down.

All these players are hero's in my eyes and I hope they still have a future at the club but had their popularity with the fans (with the exception recently of Yaya) led their egos to spiral out of control and were they too controlling of the dynamics of the dressing room. Look at Guardiola telling the squad to decide on the captain - was that Guardiola's way of freeing up the opinion of the dressing room, making it more democratic? How many times would Hart come out and be the voice of the dressing room, almost speaking like the manager. With hindsight, it was wrong, very wrong.

Look at the positive change it already appears to have had. The team huddle yesterday after the second goal was brilliant to see. The players sticking around to applaud the fans.

The above is pure speculation on my part, but something is going on, and to be honest it is brilliant that we have a manager prepared to make the big decisions and not be cowed by strong characters in the dressing room or the unpopularity of the fans. In Pep we trust.

Very good post and yes we are. It may not have worked all the time yesterday, and there will be mistakes along the way, but you can see what he is trying to achieve. Pep needs players who trust him 100% to play the way he wants to. There are no places in this squad for those unwilling to buy into his methods.

For years the playing staff have held all of the aces. For some, they lack the maturity and professionalism to act responsibly in such circumstances and, quite frankly, have taken the piss for far too long.

Those days are over.

The only question for me is whether, after years of being allowed to get away with it, they can adjust their mindset and behaviours and accept that they will be coached, they will be instructed, they will have to listen, and they will be expected to react accordingly in terms of their actions. This is a non-negotiable part of their playing contract and for some they look like they are shitting themselves at the prospect of working in this way.

Refreshing.
good post. about time I say.

It has also been noticeable that against Arsenal and I believe yesterday Pep made a point of instructing the players to acknowledge the fans. It is shameful it requires his intervention but reminding those players of their responsibilities is long overdue.

Good post OP.

Will be a sad day to see some of the old guard broken up as theyve been the core of some amazing City moments. But as others have said they have also underachieved. But this needs to happen if we are to rebuild in our gaffers image. I've been guilty in the past of being worried that the players we let go (in whatever circumstances) will come back to haunt us (visions of Hart playing for another team and saving the goal that denies us the PL for example) its never a nice thought. But this time I'm kinda chill with it with Pep being in charge. Im so excited/intrigued to see what we will be in 6 months to next seasons time. My only comprimise is a sliver of hope that those players leaving remain respectful to the fans and club of which many a beautiful moment has been shared.

But bring on the changes I say. Pep's the Don, Da Boss, The Man in charge sooner players get used to it the more harmonious it will be.

For years the playing staff have held all of the aces. For some, they lack the maturity and professionalism to act responsibly in such circumstances and, quite frankly, have taken the piss for far too long.

Those days are over.

The only question for me is whether, after years of being allowed to get away with it, they can adjust their mindset and behaviours and accept that they will be coached, they will be instructed, they will have to listen, and they will be expected to react accordingly in terms of their actions. This is a non-negotiable part of their playing contract and for some they look like they are shitting themselves at the prospect of working in this way.

Refreshing.

Agree with all of the above, especially the last word.

I think in the recent past certain players have rocked up at City with the attitude "they need me more than i need need them" and this "dressing room power" seems to have manifested itself in a few notable games, and with a few notable characters (some now left).

That dynamic now has changed, and as others have alluded, there is one man in charge, who is arguably the best football coach in the world, who has the absolute backing of the club, and is totally focused on building the best team in the world. If you don't want (or are not capable of being) part of that, regardless of your name or stature, your are out.

PG has said in interviews that Joe and Yaya accept his decision as they are "professional footballers", and to me that sums in up.

I think RM tried this method, but it was too early in our development, and he paid the price when "dressing room power" tipped against him.

^
Excellent post.
I think it's a transition for the final players who are still here who won the title. I'm sure Kompany will return as captain when fit. The huddle was interesting and seemingly started by Renaissance Man Kolorov. The bottom line is that players earn the right to play its not an automatic right and I applaud that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.