Australia v Saudi Arabia

That must be a pretty surreal thing to live through, kinda cool in a way just to experience such a situation i guess as long as it calms down soon. I see that SA has banned barca shirts to now due to the sponsor, crazy times indeed.

That must be a pretty surreal thing to live through, kinda cool in a way just to experience such a situation i guess as long as it calms down soon. I see that SA has banned barca shirts to now due to the sponsor, crazy times indeed.
Their entire nation is run by basket cases.

I'm enjoying the new boat whilst I can, put it that way.

I'm not sure in what form the support for isis comes from the house of saud but yes, I think it's awful that we do any arms deals with Saudi Arabia. But I think my point still stands, is anyone surprised that they did this when their ruling family supports the perpetrators.

Not really. It is dangerous to generalise and ascribe the actions of a government onto individuals. Like when people come out after the previous attacks saying that the onus is on Muslims to apologise, or not doing enough to denounce the acts of the few. These extremists don't represent them, so they shouldn't be made to feel responsible for actions committed completely outside of their control.

Devils advocate, when was the last time an English or european fixture had a minutes silence for the 1000s of innocent people murdered by these scum bags in the middle east?

Something to consider.

Devils advocate, when was the last time an English or european fixture had a minutes silence for the 1000s of innocent people murdered by these scum bags in the middle east?

Something to consider.
Think you're missing the point a bit mate.

If England were playing in Saudi and they were on a silence as a Saudi national had been killed by a bomb in say Iran, what would England's players do?

Something to consider.
I keep seeing this argument, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.

The game took place in Australia and the silence was for the 2 Australians killed in London. If the Saudis wanted to commemorate their own victims of terrorism in the return fixture (I know they wouldn't), then the Aussies would be expected to comply. And comply they would, because it's the decent, humane thing to do.

There really is no defending what their players and staff did. And the Saudis know that, hence their grovelling apology.

Not really. It is dangerous to generalise and ascribe the actions of a government onto individuals. Like when people come out after the previous attacks saying that the onus is on Muslims to apologise, or not doing enough to denounce the acts of the few. These extremists don't represent them, so they shouldn't be made to feel responsible for actions committed completely outside of their control.
That is all very well but what you seem to be forgetting is the whole subject of the thread - that the Saudi team DID deliberately not observe the tribute. And as far as I am aware the Saudi FA had made it clear they wouldn't observe it before the match. So I will say it again, their ruling family support Isis so is it really a surprise that this happened because it doesn't surprise me at all. That is not the same as me saying that everyone in Saudi Arabia or that everyone in that Saudi team supports Isis or what happened in London. I actually suspect it would have been dangerous for any individual in that team had they chosen to observe it tbh.
Regarding your point about people expecting Muslims to apologise or denounce the acts of extremists. In my opinion, I don't expect them to apologise, they have done nothing wrong, but absolutely they should denounce it and as vigorously as possible, for various reasons.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.