Autobiographies good or bad?

A Football Fans Story
(The Royal Navy Manchester City and me) by Don Price is a great read and only £3 on kindle .ok i know im shameless lol

One of the best football books I've ever read: Eamon Dunphy's Only A Game? Partly because it's written by a not particularly successful footballer at a not particularly successful club. It is brutally honest, worm's-eye-view, warts and all. He himself doesn't always come out in a good light (something that he's well aware of). It's the account of a jobbing footballer, who happened to be good with his feet from an early age and clearly saw making a living as a footballer as a better option than being a labourer (or whatever). As such, it is not removed into some galaxy that we can only gaze up at and wonder what kind of beings live up there. Shows all the pettinesses of any work place. But Dunphy was very passionate about his football, and very passionate about his club identity, at the time. The ups and downs of any season, the bitchy little comments of your fellow pros in the dressing room, a sudden injury that puts you in the reserves and brings the doubts flooding in (especially if you've got a family to look after, as he had), the well-meant comments by the fans that you learn to keep a certain distance from (they can turn on you in two or three matches), the brief euphoria when you had a blinder of a game (or imagined that you did). It's all there.

Not an autobiography but anyone read Michael Cox new book on football tactics that’s recently come out in paperback? If so what do you think? Is it worth a read?

I’m half way through Paul Lake’s book and think it’s very good.

Before that read Colin Schindler’s book ‘Manchester United ruined my life’. He is/was a City fan rather than a player. I enjoyed it, but think it would have a more limited appeal than Paul Lake’s autobiography. Maybe for the older reader.

John
The Schindler book seemed amusing at first but it's from before City became brilliant and successful (OK, and rich) and he wallows in enjoying their then downtrodden status compared to the rags when supporters of other clubs patronized City as "our favorite other team." Well, sod that, we've moved on since then, though Schindler thinks City have lost their soul and he'd rather be seeing them at Walsall or making a gallant run to the 5th round of the Cup. Plus for many pages he's full of himself as a cricketer and for passing the 11 plus.
Try "My Favourite Year", not quite autobiography but accounts of fans' best seasons. The one about Raith Rovers is excellent.

Full Time: The Secret Life Of Tony Cascarino - this is one of the best I have read. TBH Paul Lake and David White's books made me sad. Their period was one of my favourite times as a City fan and reading about their struggles took some gloss of my memories.

I'm not a great reader but I really fancy a good talking autobiography, preferably nothing too serious, read by the author, or someone familiar. I download a lot of bbc iplayer radio content for when I'm working but a decent audiobook would be ideal for dipping in and out when I've nothing else downloaded. Would appreciate any pointers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.