Autobiographies good or bad?

Paul Lake’s book is so good precisely because he’s a very bright guy, and he has a quality most footballers, as far as I can see, lack: self-analysis. It’s essentially the psychological story of a man who knows that he’s possibly the most gifted footballer of his generation, and slowly having to let that go, through no fault whatsoever of his own. And then to come out the other side, and shift his whole life around to other priorities. I’m not usually interested in sports people’s biographies, but Lakey’s biography is exemplary, in that genre. It’s a book that I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to people not interested in City, or even in football, particularly.
I still wish he had some coaching role at the club.

Think it probably depends on the player who’s autobiography is.

Joey Barton is a prick but I’d be more inclined to read his than Sergio’s for example.

I’ve not read that many but other sports books I’ve read on horse racing and boxing in particular I’ve enjoyed much more than the majority of footballers books.

I will give it a plug
A Football Fans Story
(The Royal Navy)
Manchester City & Me)
By Don Price .only £3 on kindle

Lakey's book is superb. You can also get it on Audible and it's read by the man himself. He does a superb impression of Tony Book!

Craig Bellamy's book is another one I've read. Good read, he's a smarter bloke than he often gets credit for, you can see it when he's a pundit as well

I have also enjoyed reading Bert Trautman’s, Tony Book’s and the Goat’s biographies. I know Beft’s was written with a journalist.

I don't think he rated Swales highly, he just didn't agree with the campaign to oust him. Said it unsettled the team and got a little nasty.

well i guess highly was not what he said, but he did say he liked him. That stuck in my mind when i read it! Statto here will look in the index and find the page no, hang on ;)

The bottom of 188
"He rarely criticized us in the press, was happy to offer praise when it was due, and i believed generally treated his players with respect. I liked the man"

Got 2 for Xmas - Bruce Dickinson and Graham Souness. Am already half way through Souness and it’s a pretty good read, honest and some interesting views on the game today.
Best autobiography I ever read though is Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Easily the funniest and most brutally honest book I’ve ever read and can’t recommend it enough!

Harry Harris...... I proof read it for the publisher 3 days after we had won it. He originally started the season writing about the rags ''final season with Fergie'' and them winning the title.... after the 6-1 he shat himself thinking ''they ain't going to win it'' and switched tactics to do the book on City. Obviously he carried on doing both just to cover himself.
haha did he,cheeky sod,i really enjoy it,since my goldfish memory has set in i rediscover the mood of the season all over again

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.