Aymeric Laporte

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Football Espana website........

Manchester City will complete their club record move for Athletic Bilbao defender Aymeric Laporte on Monday, say multiple reports.

The 23-year-old defender has a €65m release clause at San Mames while City will be required to pay a further €5m due to the Basque club’s development rights for the player.

BBC, ESPN and Marca are among the publications to state the move will go through imminently, and probably on Monday, after the defender told the Basque club he had agreed a deal to leave.

He is now set to become City’s club record transfer and the world’s second most expensive defender, after Liverpool’s Virgil Van Dijk.

Laporte’s release clause at Athletic will increase to €75m this summer and City see him as their preferred target over other options such as Jonny Evans or Inigo Martinez, of Real Sociedad.

Barcelona were previously linked to the Athletic central defender before their agreement for Yerry Mina.

The former France Under-21 defender has made 222 first-team appearances at San Mames but with the emergence of central defenders Unai Nunez and Yeray Alvarez, his significance may perhaps become diminished.
From the Football Espana website

—————————————

The bit where it says the emergence of the 2 other players would mean they can let him go...so we are getting their 3rd choice center back ? :)

Chelsea fan.

This being our record transfer puts into context the fact that Newcastle, one of the clubs the Shiekh might have taken over if we had not been so viable at the time, still has their record signing as Michael Owen at about £15 million in 2005.

Which I believe is the same amount they bought Shearer for in '96.
According to figures reported by Shearer on Match of The Day, his fee was £15m (as was widely reported at the time) and Owen's was £16m. According to comments by Guardiola, also on MoTD, the De Bruyne fee was 70m. At the time, I took it to mean pounds sterling, but I suppose it would be more natural for Pep to speak in Euros hence €70m, not £70m. This would still mean that a deal for Laporte only breaks the record if the development fee is added on which seems strange to me. I thought development fees were a protection for clubs if they loose players without compensation but, if Bilbao can negotiate its inclusion then fair play to them.

Which I believe is the same amount they bought Shearer for in '96.

https://tomkinstimes.com/2017/07/sh...t-more-plus-top-100-signings-after-inflation/

That purchase of Shearer is still more when adjusted for transfer inflation than any City buy. In fact, only Aguero cost us more in relative terms than Owen cost Newcastle.

The £57m we're about to pay for Laporte is comparable to Liverpool's purchases of Aquilani and Downing, which makes me feel much much better about us breaking our club record!

NsHENV5.png
I know he's likely on his way out, but just for completeness, is it possible to add Mangala to the list, or can we only compare maximum of 4 players? Cheers

Private jet arriving from Bilbao at 21:40 NV552A Aircraft type CL6 don' know what that is I'm not a plane cuddler.

Aymeric Laporte passed his Manchester City medical on Sunday and will be presented officially on Tuesday. City have informed the Basque club that they will pay his release clause today, with their lawyers moving to Madrid from Bilbao to finalise the deal. [El Correo]

Laporte is expected to attend City's game with West Brom on Wednesday, but it is unlikely he will play despite being in good physical condition. [El Correo]

Private jet arriving from Bilbao at 21:40 NV552A Aircraft type CL6 don' know what that is I'm not a plane cuddler.
I have a feeling he'll be here before then, unless he's already here. He's got interviews and other publicity to do before we can announce him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.