Bersant Celina and the EDS lads...

Has annoyed me for years that in home games which are pretty much guaranteed wins we never started with 1 EDS player.

It's not as if going with something like this vs a Norwich or a Newcastle at home we're suddenly going to crumble and lose a game we would have won

---------------Aguero
KDB/Nasri----Silva----Celina/Lopes
-----------Toure-----Dinho

What's the worst that's likely to happen, the EDS lad doesn't really get into the game?

Oh no!

It should have been a pretty regular occurrence at home these last few years

No point the manager moaning about injuries when you've been selecting 'overkill' sides that go on to win games by 4/5/6. And to not even use one off the bench when you're 3+ up at HT or within the the hour...

Hopefully Pep uses the whole squad (which includes the EDS) of players more intelligently than MP - if only to keep players well rested. Forget injuries right now, the players we have fit look knackered!

MP trumpets 'still in 4 competitions' (like Wenger trumpets '4th place'), as tho it deserves a trophy, but he has never really acted like we're in 4 competitions

Last edited:
Even though our experienced defenders haven't been doing the business for ages? I understand your principle, but when the experienced defender is a liability time and time again, can/would Angelino really be any noticeably poorer?

I understand why we wouldn't want to get on the lad's back, but I honestly doubt that would happen as much for a young lad from the eds. It's easy to see why our fans get pissed off with half arsed performances from supposed superstars, but I'd be more inclined to believe we'd get behind the young lads and the encouragement will be mutual.

I can't see the benefit of throwing a youngster into such a situation where they are so exposed. It could end up doing more harm than good. Put a youngster on the wing by al means but please not in defence.

Time to give them a good go at it. What have we got to lose? We've found ourselves in a position where we've played shite, and let's not dress it up any other way it has been shite since October time. We've got 13 or 14 fully fit first team players yet got 4 competitions to contend with.

Iheanacho came on today and wasn't great but along with Aguero got bugger all service. When he did, he almost made something out of nothing at 1-3 when he managed a superb flick through to Zabaleta.

Celina came on and immediately looked better than Silva. All be it Silva's playing through an injury, why bother if we've got guys like that who can come in. He kept the ball well, used it well and set up Aguero's goal brilliantly. He's a dead ball threat into the bargain too.

Is there a better time to start using these lads more often and in bigger games than now? What's the alternative? Stick to the bang average first team players and hope for the best?
Mate, we've got the tools but it's how they're used that counts. If we employ the same tactics as we have been doing but with inexperienced EDS lads, I'd expect the same outcome at best or probably worse.

It's all about tactics and getting the most out of the parts available to you, something which we are sadly lacking at the moment.

Angelino is less defensively sound than Kolorov and the nasty fuckers that boo our own players will have a field day the first time he is caught upfield doing his attacking style stuff, it could ruin the poor lad.

Bullshit. No one is going to boo a kid on his debut. Everyone wants to see them in the first team, and everyone wants to see them succeed.

People get pissy with our players when they are lazy, or just do the same mistake over for Months on end.

Angelino might make mistakes. But he will give 110%, he might not have defensive experience, but he's fast enough and energetic enough to bust a gut getting back to help out.

Unlike Kolarov who knows he's too slow and just jogs back - and that's what draws angry responses.

Not to mention we have 13 players fit. Everyone knows we have almost no choice but to use the kids. They basically have a free hit No one is going to complaint about using kids when no one else is actually fit.

I've always said the team should be picked based on hard work. Players like Demichellis, Kolarov and Yaya especially just drift through virtually every game and do not deserve a shirt. There is absolutely no way any of the EDS lads would put in less effort so give them a chance. If Yaya or Kolarov want their place back they'll have to put up or shut up.

Didn't see much of cellina cameo appearance but what I did see was a player being able to deliver a quality cross from little space! Reminded me of that cockney twat who use to play for the rags! Not for 1 minute saying he will be anywhere near as good as him but when your struggling to create it's nice to have a player that can do that!

Agree that we could be giving our EDS guys more opportunity but the comparison to Tottenham is a little stretched. They have Alli who is 19 but the rest of the 'young' talent is around 22-23 so not comparable to throwing in Celina or Maffeo. The bigger problem is that we skipped a generation of young players and don't have many in the squad around 22-23. Mangala and KDB almost fit that bracket with Nacho and Sterling. Some random thoughts rather than a coherent argument I guess

What's a terrible time to send Roberts out on loan.

He's exactly what we need right now, I've no idea who else in the squad can play on the right side of the pitch.

Was De Bruyne's injury before or after he went on loan?

This will be different next season. No doubt.

They will get their chance under Pep.

Has annoyed me for years that in home games which are pretty much guaranteed wins we never started with 1 EDS player.

It's not as if going with something like this vs a Norwich or a Newcastle at home we're suddenly going to crumble and lose a game we would have won

---------------Aguero
KDB/Nasri----Silva----Celina/Lopes
-----------Toure-----Dinho

What's the worst that's likely to happen, the EDS lad doesn't really get into the game?

Oh no!

It should have been a pretty regular occurrence at home these last few years

No point the manager moaning about injuries when you've been selecting 'overkill' sides that go on to win games by 4/5/6. And to not even use one off the bench when you're 3+ up at HT or within the the hour...

Hopefully Pep uses the whole squad (which includes the EDS) of players more intelligently than MP - if only to keep players well rested. Forget injuries right now, the players we have fit look knackered!

MP trumpets 'still in 4 competitions' (like Wenger trumpets '4th place'), as tho it deserves a trophy, but he has never really acted like we're in 4 competitions

i'm sure you're a top fan and a knowledgeable footy person but i couldn't read beyond that bit

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.