Bert Trautmann - R.I.P

Alty Red said:
Just came to pay my respects to one of the greats. I never saw Bert play but my dad, uncle, and granddad used to go to Old Trafford one week and Maine Road the next. That's how it was in the 50s. My dad always said that Bert Trautmann was the greatest goalie he'd ever seen; maybe the equal of Frank Swift, a man he hero-worshipped.

I met Bert once long after he'd retired at the Manchester Evening News offices on Deansgate. He signed an autograph that I took home to my old man and, as red as he was, it took pride of place in his collection of football memorabilia alongside signed pictures of Frank Swift and Duncan Edwards.

It's a times like this was we ought to forget the rivalry and remember a great player who did more in his life than most can aspire to. RIP.

A lovely post and thanks for taking the time to join and voice your opinion. A big blue who will be missed, an all time great.

RIP

For any new Spanish speaking fans who may be wondering:

Acaba de fallecer una verdadera leyenda, ídolo y orgullo del City. De prisionero alemán en Inglaterra durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial a arquero del Manchester City (con todo lo que representa, siendo un equipo inglés) y como si fuera poco, campeón de FA Cup permaneciendo en el campo al borde de la muerte con el cuello roto en la final. Uno piensa en los maricones de ahora que se tiran y simulan, y piden el cambio por cualquier estupidez... y le da más valor aún a este enorme referente citizen, que nunca olvidaremos. Hasta siempre a nuestro gran arquero, Bert Trautmann. Mi total admiración y reconocimiento a él.

R.I.P. Bert not only a true City Legend but a great ambassador for Football and a hero to many in Germany and England

RIP Bert. The history he created spans the generations. He was before my time and my 2 lads (13 and 17) are both gutted at his passing. How many other players from the 50s would have that effect, not many I suspect.

smudgedj said:
RIP

For any new Spanish speaking fans who may be wondering:

Acaba de fallecer una verdadera leyenda, ídolo y orgullo del City. De prisionero alemán en Inglaterra durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial a arquero del Manchester City (con todo lo que representa, siendo un equipo inglés) y como si fuera poco, campeón de FA Cup permaneciendo en el campo al borde de la muerte con el cuello roto en la final. Uno piensa en los maricones de ahora que se tiran y simulan, y piden el cambio por cualquier estupidez... y le da más valor aún a este enorme referente citizen, que nunca olvidaremos. Hasta siempre a nuestro gran arquero, Bert Trautmann. Mi total admiración y reconocimiento a él.

I haven´t heard anything about it over here yet - just got a text from my cousin
The quote cannot be translated in certain parts on here coz I would have the PC police on my back but needless to say it´s funny and so true
I´m so glad I managed to catch a glimpse of Bert at Villarreal and that I got his last book autographed after that numpty of an ex of mine threw the signed 56 book out with the rubbish (don´t even ask me how!!)
Hero. gentleman and yes LEGEND!!! Not many players make the type of history you made Bert and for that you will be immortalised in the annals of football history
Nuff said
R.I.P

Bert Trautmann: The prisoner of war who became an English legend - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.givemesport.com/361205-bert-trautmann-a-prisoner-of-war-who-became-an-english-legend" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.givemesport.com/361205-bert- ... ish-legend</a>

As my name says, not a City fan - but a piece I did on your Bert.

Like to think I did him justice. Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.