Bert Trautmann - R.I.P

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
This is desperately sad and bad news. Bert was the first idol I ever worshipped as a lad and will always be my greatest sporting hero. As a lad we all played football endlessly on the local park, and the summer of 1956 is the only time I can remember when everyone wanted to be in goal to relive those epic moments when Bert rose, semi-conscious and and in agony, and refused to leave the pitch, preferring to throw himself fearlessly in the way of successive waves of Birmingham attacks to bring the cup to Manchester. When my family stood in the masses at Piccadilly to watch the team bring the cup home he was still in unimaginable pain, and escaped death that day by a whisker. But that was Bert, loyal and faithful whatever the circumstances. And it was Bert, German, paratrooper Bert showing what real Germans could be like rather than the ludicrous parodies put forward in Britain just after the war. And Bert was always far more than a footballer - he was a role model and the personification of reconciliation. And this was something he worked for tirelessly for well over 60 years, and we are all proud of our association and our City's association with a truly great man. It is, therefore, ironic that he succombed to a heart attack - because if there was one thing that would never have failed him or anyone else was his heart. Rest in peace, Bert, you'll always be with us in Manchester.

Wow... so moving! Was my Dad's favourite ever... and he was in the British Army. Bert did so much to reconcile our differences with the Germans

RIP Mr Trautmann... will be missed dearly... great ambassador for City and for Fotball.. thanks for everything

Rest In Peace Bert. a true inspiration to all goalkeepers and footballers alike.
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family

RIP Bert.

The word "legend" is bandied about too often but definitely not here. Only got round to reading his biography recently - a truly astonishing man and true Blue legend.

Deepest sympathies to all his friends and family.

As an eight year old boy, I used to get down to Maine Road with my dad and brother well before the players arrived, to simply walk alongside the great man to the players door and inevitably get a pat on the head and a " Hello son". My favourite all-time player, the greatest goalkeeper ever and a true footballing legend. Thanks for the great memories Bert and may you Rest in Peace.

R.I.p. to such a legend of what football is about.my late grandad
Was one of his biggest fans,maybe now my hero can meet his hero once again.true blues live for ever in my heart x.

Read his book a few years back. Great footballer but even greater man. As has been said he did a lot to rebuild bridges after WW2 and it would be good if City could arrange to play a German team each pre-season for the Bert Trautmann Cup.

100% old school, no nonsense PRO. I'm feel honoured that he played for us. Pure respect to him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.