Best Decade Following City

80's for me.

We used to get in the ground early doors, and stay right to the end. Went to go to every home game, and as many away games as I could. Loved the atmosphere in the Kippax, and there were some right characters on the terraces.

The 5-1 massacre against a relatively expensively assembled Rag's team was probably the highlight of that era (closely followed by the 10-1 against Udders-Feeled), but there were many low points, which a lot of our newer fans won't appreciate. We were s**t, be we knew we were.

I loved 68 to 78. They were my formative years as a supporter but nothing can beat what has happened since 2008. I don't want to dwell too much on the past. Leave that to the Rags and Liverpool fans. The highlights so far have been: The King's comeback game in 77; the FA Cup semi in 2011, and 93:20.

This decade easily. I had fun traipsing all over the country in the 80’s particularly, but nostalgia almost always comes rose tinted. You tend to forget days like losing 3-1 at home to Carlisle with the temperature a knob shrinking minus 15 degrees. Amazed that anyone could vote for the 90’s. 97 and 98 in particular we were beyond dogshite.
We have sacrificed a bit of atmosphere over the course of the last 10 years and become sanitised, but fuck me the football’s been sensational, we’ve won 3 league titles, 3 league cups, 1 FA Cup, beaten Barcelona and put 6 past the rags at the Swamp. It’s not even close
this with a small caveat turning the rags into our bitches has made this amazing time a slightly bit sweeter

the 80's were OK for football, but nostalgia is not what it used to be... fences, Police treating you like you were sh*t under their horses' hoofs, Bradford Fire, Hillsborough. Yes there was a certain joy to it, it was in many ways far more accessible than is now the case, but there was also horrible violence and a sense of decay. I started following City in 85-86, hardly a glamorous period under Billy McNeil but it was what it was. I like the fact that it was all taken far less seriously than it now is; relegation was never fun but you took it in your stride and moved on; now it's like the kids have been taken out and shot! And all that UAFA CL drivel, Zadok the Priest et al and the hugh percentage increases in ticket prices make football as less attractive proposition than it once was... that said, what's happening at City now was quite literally the stuff of dreams back in 1985...

I think it very much depends on your age and coincides with your teens/20s so for me the 90s were the best time going to the match.

Atmosphere, standing up, huge away followings, getting on the 210/211 and 53 to be in the ground for 2pm, chanting at away fans on the kippax segregation lines,being excited if the crowd hit 30k, watching training at Platt Lane, watching players fatter than those playing sunday league, typical city on a weekly basis, Georgiou Kinkladze.

No doubt the football has been incredible the last 10 years but sadly the occasion is not the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.