Best Guitar Solos

Off the top of my head...having not read the whole thread...

Lindsay Buckinghams on Go Your Own Way- the version on the 90s 'comeback' live video is particularly intense
Pearl Jam - Alive
Dire Straits - the Alchemy solos on Sultans and Telegraph Road
Alex Lifeson - loads to pick, but Between The Wheels is a special one for me
Iron Maiden - 2 minutes to midnight
Molly Hatchet - about half a dozen on Double Trouble live album
Freebird - (obviously)
Gary Ricrath's on Take It on the Run from the Hi Infidelity album
and should have added Neil Young's Like A Hurricane, a thing of aching beauty

Last edited:
Off the top of my head...having not read the whole thread...

Lindsay Buckinghams on Go Your Own Way- the version on the 90s 'comeback' live video is particularly intense
Pearl Jam - Alive
Dire Straits - the Alchemy solos on Sultans and Telegraph Road
Alex Lifeson - loads to pick, but Between The Wheels is a special one for me
Iron Maiden - 2 minutes to midnight
Molly Hatchet - about half a dozen on Double Trouble live album
Freebird - (obviously)
Gary Ricrath's on Take It on the Run from the Hi Infidelity album
and should have added Neil Young's Like A Hurricane, a thing of aching beauty
Some good solos in there and I think 'like a hurricane' is a underestimated track. My favourite has to be Floyd's comfortably numb.

Some good solos in there and I think 'like a hurricane' is a underestimated track. My favourite has to be Floyd's comfortably numb.

Thanks for that. Yes, I love Numb too, but i'd seen it recently mentioned on the thread so didnt both adding it, but agree with you 100%!
NY is underestimated as a player isnt he - to use one of his album titles, I think ragged glory sums up his playing.

Santanna totally owned Woodstock.
Probably my favourite Santana composistion ever and to say this was a live performance they nailed it to a man.

This is a guitar solo thread but a special mention in disspatches if I may for michael shreve on drums.Incredible young talent.
Bravo Carlos bravo bellisimo and from the 3 minute 50 mark the guitar is actually talking !

Last edited by a moderator:
One that always sounds good live is the Who's Amazing Journey.

It does, as it segues into Sparks, but because of the bass and drums surrounding the guitar hook, not because of any solo. A fine example of how unusual their approach was with the rhythm guitar providing the base for the other two musicians to play around. That's a very good reason why no Townshend solo (and he is a very good guitarist) is in this list.

Some one linked earlier Prince playing guitar gently weeps at the end of some guitar legends award.

Caught by accident some of a Prince documentary last night..."It was obvious some of the legends there had not rehearsed that bit...and when he had done he threw is guitar in the air and fucked off without shaking anyones hand" Legends my arse

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.