Big Green Egg

I've got a couple of charcoal fuelled smokers and a couple of electric ones.....as I get older have to say the electric ones are really nice. Being a carpenter I have access to lots of different woods, though mainly use hickory (from flooring) or alder. Just bought a bag of peach wood and mesquite, thought I'd give them a try...better go and catch some trout first though

I've got a couple of charcoal fuelled smokers and a couple of electric ones.....as I get older have to say the electric ones are really nice. Being a carpenter I have access to lots of different woods, though mainly use hickory (from flooring) or alder. Just bought a bag of peach wood and mesquite, thought I'd give them a try...better go and catch some trout first though

I have to have mine sent over from texas (mesquite) Cherry is nice but i miss the salt lick dearly and mesquite smoke takes me back there.

Get a sack of this @Chippy_boy

It is a very large sack and will do 10 cooks easily with a good mix of woods. If you are going to buy wood chips to compliment your smoking get some whisky barrel chunks, they work very well.

I have to have mine sent over from texas (mesquite) Cherry is nice but i miss the salt lick dearly and mesquite smoke takes me back there.

It is a very large sack and will do 10 cooks easily with a good mix of woods. If you are going to buy wood chips to compliment your smoking get some whisky barrel chunks, they work very well.

How much do you pay for that mesquite? Love to cook with that.

The sacks (Oak currently) I get last absolutely ages... 30kilo sack has been in my shed for over a year and still going. I tend to chop up the chunks into 'mars bar' size sticks and use them on the kettle BBQ to smoke smaller meats (like Burgers).

@Chippy_boy - here are the guys I buy my wood from - ring/mail to see what they have in to deliver:

http://www.alderwoodtreecare.com/
http://www.alderwoodtreecare.com/
Chorlton based so not sure how far they deliver out to...

I have a lot of cherry in my shop, forgot about that

That is legit dense hard large chunk mesquite @somapop, personally i only use it for low and slow, it resists grilling a bit unless you fish out all the direct grilling sized chunks. You can trust this stuff though and sod off to garden or sit in the sun and check every 45mins as opposed to constantly nipping back to check the temp in case it spikes or dies off.

Note: if you cant see links it is due to ad blocking addons people have installed on their browser.

That is legit dense hard large chunk mesquite @somapop, personally i only use it for low and slow, it resists grilling a bit unless you fish out all the direct grilling sized chunks. You can trust this stuff though and sod off to garden or sit in the sun and check every 45mins as opposed to constantly nipping back to check the temp in case it spikes or dies off.

Note: if you cant see links it is due to ad blocking addons people have installed on their browser.

Ahh - are you cooking directly with the stuff (rather than adding a chunk to charcoal lumpwood)?
Not sure I could afford to do that with hardwood, but then again lumpwood (which tends to be 'shrapnel' isn't that much cheaper than the hardwood).
I've got my UDS to run pretty much to temp for most of the day (either low and slow 250 or 300 depending on how rushed I am to serve later on). I adjust via some valves I drilled into bottom of the smoker.

I use one of these for cold smoking (usually cheeses)...great piece of kit - I stick it in the BBQ UDS smoker:

57_pp_005_Small_13.jpg

@TCIB - just spotted the link - didn't realise that was lumpwood charcoal - thought you meant hardwood chunks (as in seasoned wood).

That smoker tray looks mint boss, i do use weber chips to help add more layers of flavour but your system looks better as i have to wet the chips and stick em at the side. Smoked cheese is amazing and i want to try it myself. Any tips i may need boss, nothing better than well smoked cheese on a bbq grilled burger.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.