Bluemoon Angling Thread

Three long barbel trips on a full and difficult River Ribble recently has resulted in three blanks (apart from an eel). Ripping weed off your line and recasting every five minutes gets frustrating after a few hours of not catching and there were some treacherous banks to navigate.

For a change on Sunday I got the perch gear out, First (after a swim move) I caught a bucket of tiny roach on the river and then set up a float paternoster with a thin wire trace and a single size 2. First cast under a bridge and the float was gone in second for a perch of about 1lb. I thought I was in for a red letter day but then moved swim 3 times and never had another bite.

On a bad run.

I nearly lost the top two off my pole last night and it wouldn't be the first time. You could fish under your feet all day at this lake and wouldn't get a touch, but drop your rig in bated up while you have a drink and watch you top kit sail round the lake for the next five minutes!!! Luckily, the fish slipped the hook and it drifted in the reeds, so I got it back.
Live and learn, although I won't.

I nearly lost the top two off my pole last night and it wouldn't be the first time. You could fish under your feet all day at this lake and wouldn't get a touch, but drop your rig in bated up while you have a drink and watch you top kit sail round the lake for the next five minutes!!! Luckily, the fish slipped the hook and it drifted in the reeds, so I got it back.
Haha. Good work mate. Seen that happen before and laughed heartily.

Took my UKrainian friend out with a whip and he caught a load of roach. Couldn't resist putting one on the perch rod for an hour but nothing happened. Had a couple of short lure trips which resulted in a broken perch rod and no fish when I smashed it against the roof of a bridge pulling for a break.

Went for an evening trip on The Ribble last night. Two bites resulted in a chub and a barbel.

Cups of tea, sandwiches, cigarettes and answering mobiles are probably the best ways to induce a bite!

On my annual trip to the Rutland lodge. Only one swim on the lake which is direct access from my lodge. Been about 20 times in the last 13 years or so. Weather not helping, but very disappointing so far. A few carp as you would expect, but normally some great perch, biggest I have had here is 3lb+. Not a sign of one yet. 3 days left so fingers crossed.

Currently on The River Wye. I’ve come down for a few days with my wife as all my kids are abroad. I thought I’d sneak a few short trips in. Yesterday was bright and sunny and I fished from 10-3, the worst time of all. I was quite amazed when the river started rising like lightning. I had two barbel but had to leave for family duty. Having dinner by the river last night it was close to full flood, with chocolate brown water and big logs coming down, so I kept the beer as low as I could and got up at 5 this morning knowing that dawn could be absolutely prime: a falling flood with low light.

So it proved. I had 4 barbel and 2 chub in the first hour or so before the sun came up. All 8-9lb and one of the chub, landed during a mad double hookup, was enormous. I’m leaving soon but this was a brilliant session.D858551C-DD5B-4076-A090-3B8CE893FE98.jpeg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.