Brahim Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or they don't have the mentality to succeed. It's all very well having the talent and shining in the U21 league or whatever it is called now, but when it comes to proper football, with real jobs and points at stake, if they cant come back from a small set back then they aren't strong enough to succeed at a big club.

Do you not think that John Swift or Josh McEacheran are more talented than Jordan Henderson? Henderson as much as i despair of him as a player he never buckles under pressure, he never hides and his mentality is strong. You kick him, he will kick you back. You kick McEaracheran and he will go into hiding.

I get that, but the point there is that McEacharan is clearly a more talented footballer on a technical level, so if you can create a pathway that is less career demoralising for him potentially than you at least try? That's where we're going wrong. The way a player deals with a setback at 18 is not the same as one who deals with a setback at 25, even 22. As it is we're potentially wasting far too many talents by sending them down routes that will never work for them and not let them grow comfortably to a stage where they can actually be useful. Otherwise all we get is a bunch of Hendersons, a strong willed player, decent technique but a million miles away from an Iniesta or someone like that as a footballer.

Not every player should be treated the same. They all react in different ways to different situations, and just cos a certain kid at 18 doesn't react well to being farmed out to some bunch of lower league clobbers, it doesn't mean he's therefore worthy of less attention that the big strong hardworking lad who runs all day. You treat them all in different ways. What works for a young Brahim Diaz won't be the same as a young Jordan Henderson. It's common sense.

The ones with magic in their feet, someone like a Brahim, is defo worthy of the extra thought or attention cos they're potentially a game changer. If you have to put them on a different developmental path, so be it. Could save you £50m one day so why not? Otherwise we throw them out on loan to some random club and then write them off when they inevitably struggle in a really weird circumstance. I'm a totally different person to the one I was at 18. I'd hate to be told that I'd never have the mentality to succeed based on how I was at 18.

there's no right answer, ultimately it's up to the players to work it out for themselves. Only a tiny percentage will ever make it with us.

It's nice to see now though that even those who didn't make it are making careers at ever higher levels.

there's no right answer, ultimately it's up to the players to work it out for themselves. Only a tiny percentage will ever make it with us.

It's nice to see now though that even those who didn't make it are making careers at ever higher levels.

It's not fully though. They're in the hands of the clubs at that point who make decisions for them.

do you know how hard it is, the mentality and commitment needed to make it to u21 level in an academy? It's insane, it's putting your entire adolescence on hold, dedicating yourself to football when your friends are going out and enjoying being young. Loads of players have left home, and their families, to come here and succeed.

They are all incredibly driven, they have that overwhelming desire or they wouldn't have made it this far. The odds are not in their favour, and some do go off the rails because they lose the commitment at the vital moment, but to say they don't have the mentality or desire is not understanding how absolutely cut-throat the academy system is in the modern game.

Fair enough, i probably didn't express myself well.

I accept to get this far these lads need to be incredibly driven and i know I wouldn't have pushed myself that much if I'd been blessed with this much talent.

But to become mature professionals they have to show these characteristics times a hundred. As you say, the odds are not in their favour - you only have to look at how many premier league trained centre halves there are aged between 20 and 35 in the top six clubs to see what the odds have been for a youth team player in that position for the last 15 years. You might argue that our coaching is improved but I'm not sure about the rest of the league.

I really want you to be right and for loads of the hugely talented players to make it but my view is we'll be lucky to have 3 regular players over 5 years and we'll look to recover costs by selling the next tier down - the excellent but not quite good enough.

I am not entirely comfortable with this as we are dragging players here from all over the world, selling them a dream that is 99% likely to fade.

I really want you to be right and for loads of the hugely talented players to make it but my view is we'll be lucky to have 3 regular players over 5 years and we'll look to recover costs by selling the next tier down - the excellent but not quite good enough.

I am not entirely comfortable with this as we are dragging players here from all over the world, selling them a dream that is 99% likely to fade.
The kids will know the score and if they don't the club will put them right. A good career elsewhere after a top footballing education is hardly a nightmare anyway. Even if they leave football entirely they're getting a damn good education that the majority of them couldn't dream of getting at most places.

I know its weird to say that he is too good for this level, considering that he is 17, but i honestly believe that if you guys started to integrate him right away, by the 2018/2019 season he could already be a starter, he is that good. Seriously, just look at this video, against one of the best academies in the country in Liverpool, and he just takes the piss out of everyone there. He is fucking incredible and i am fucking jealous.fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.