Brighton (A) - Pre match thread - Finally!

Brighton vs City prediction

• Win

Votes: 481 93.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 23 4.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this gem in the Brighton forum...

"I don't think Man City will want to over extend themselves in the first game against lowly opposition, so once they have a one goal advantage I think they will park the bus and save themselves for the next game."

Followed by this bizarre comment:

"1 -1

Citeh always seem to struggle in first game of season."

They all seem very confident they'll score against us though, which makes sense. I mean if West Ham and Tottenham can't do it then they must be able to, right? I feel sorry for fans like those- all they have to go on is the media bullshit about City having a terrible defense and Pep being arrogant. Would love to smash them 4-0 now.

Hey MarsLlama, a few thoughts from the otherside.

One person saying you struggle in the first game, does not represent everyone. We live in our own little Brighton bubble where to be perfectly honest with you most fans haven't got a clue how City usually perform in the first game because we don't support City.

Now some fans of course will consume the media bullshit - but I think you'd be suprised by how few know much of anything that happens in football outside of Brighton. It's amazing how many of our fans say "Who?" when we sign player, no more evident than when we signed Vicente a few years back.

As for arrogance, the thread you have quoted from has a poll for predicitng the result where if my maths is correct 62% of the responses are predicting a City win. Only 12% think we'll win.

I think you are reading way to much into people who think we will score as some sort of insult to City. We've just been promoted, we're excited for the first game, we're realistic enough to know we'll probably come away empty handed. Should we all just not bother turning up because it's a fact we'll lose by 4 or more goals to nil?

The hope for many I suspect is that we come away with some positives to take into the following two away games. We did well against Atletico on Sunday. Kept a good defensive shape, worked hard for each other, made good blocks and when we got the ball we gave them some problems too. We lost 3-2 but we competed. More of the same would do me, although I'd obviously be delighted if we did get a point or three.

One person saying you struggle in the first game, does not represent everyone. We live in our own little Brighton bubble where to be perfectly honest with you most fans haven't got a clue how City usually perform in the first game because we don't support City.

Now some fans of course will consume the media bullshit - but I think you'd be suprised by how few know much of anything that happens in football outside of Brighton. It's amazing how many of our fans say "Who?" when we sign player, no more evident than when we signed Vicente a few years back.

As for arrogance, the thread you have quoted from has a poll for predicitng the result where if my maths is correct 62% of the responses are predicting a City win. Only 12% think we'll win.

I think you are reading way to much into people who think we will score as some sort of insult to City. We've just been promoted, we're excited for the first game, we're realistic enough to know we'll probably come away empty handed. Should we all just not bother turning up because it's a fact we'll lose by 4 or more goals to nil?

The hope for many I suspect is that we come away with some positives to take into the following two away games. We did well against Atletico on Sunday. Kept a good defensive shape, worked hard for each other, made good blocks and when we got the ball we gave them some problems too. We lost 3-2 but we competed. More of the same would do me, although I'd obviously be delighted if we did get a point or three.
Enjoy the season. Brighton are back and credit to all those fans who worked so hard keeping the club alive.

I remember Brighton from the first time around and for Gordon Smith who I watched in the 1980s. I think we were in the 2nd Div by then, and we have had quite a trip too. The hard times make the good ones more worthwhile.

Brighton is a great place and I have always had a soft spot for your club. Respect for what you have done to keep you club alive and the results achieved in the last years. I hope you stay up. I hope for a City win off course :-)

The outcome of this game will largely depend on whether City can put away their chances as this was a major problem last season. Brighton will defend bravely and if they get a bit of luck may nick a point. City have a bit of previous away to a newly promoted side (although recovered to win the title)but a defeat here quite frankly would be unthinkable and would pile on the pressure for the first two very difficult home fixtures. My prediction Brighton 1 City 3.

It's beating teams like Brighton that win you the league. You have to absolutely dig deep and fight through or they will eat you alive. No room for complacency
I'll be more than happy to see them take points off the Rag's and Dipper's. We need to be ruthless against teams like Brighton, because slip up's against lesser teams cost us dearly lad season.

Good to see Foden and Diaz involved in 1st team training. Look very much the part.

No disrespect to Brighton but I fancy us to win 5-0 with kdb scoring first and getting m.o.m

Four conceded would be a new Amex record. Atletico came close. If Griezmann was any good with is right foot it could have been four. His left foot genius made it three.

Brighton made as good a fist at giving Atletico a game as Leicester, although Saul was injured for them.

Two banks of four restricted Atletico to shots from outside the box. One which was fumbled in. When Brighton pushed forward they left gaps at the back. But it was difficult going behind against a team with the best defensive record (by ten goals) in La Liga.

Brighton with six first team squad players coming back from injury (missed most of last season), do not need strength in depth, but a bit more quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.