Champions League 2024/ 2025

The 4 groups of 9 is correct, split into the last 5 years club coefficients, so effectively 2 clubs from each category of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th seeds. Each club will play 2 games against ALL categories, something that doesn’t happen now, as you say, 4 home and 4 away. Those groups are created purely to determine fixtures, it will be just one league of 36 teams, there will be no tables for the 4 x 9 “groups”.

Also after the first year of the competition I’ve read somewhere the historical coefficients will be phased out and a new seeding system will replace it, think they’ll probably just go off the previous years domestic position but not really too sure about that.
Which answers my question that fixtures are arranged within groups of nine. As I said earlier and you appear to confirm there is only one table and in theory you could win your group and say finish 7th, 8th or 9th in the overall table not first in your group. This is something similar to the European Champions Cup in rugby This is likely to lead to an exciting round of fixtures on the last match day and also a potential problem if certain teams play their last game later than others.

Which answers my question that fixtures are arranged within groups of nine. As I said earlier and you appear to confirm there is only one table and in theory you could win your group and say finish 7th, 8th or 9th in the overall table not first in your group. This is something similar to the European Champions Cup in rugby This is likely to lead to an exciting round of fixtures on the last match day and also a potential problem if certain teams play their last game later than others.
The “groups” will only exist until the fixtures are determined.

Does the final 36 include the Europa Cup winners from the previous season?
Also, how do teams from previously unrepresented counties gain admission to future tournaments? There are 55 countries in UEFA and with several clubs from England, Germany, Italy and Spain being in the initial 36, there will probably be over 30 countries unrepresented.

UEFA have confirmed the format for the season after next’s Champions League.

4 x 9 team groups based on coefficients at the end of ‘23/‘24.

Everyone plays other teams in the group once. 4X home. 4 X away.

Possibility that countries with 4 or more teams in the competition could have two teams in the same group.

One 36 team league table is produced at the end of qualifying dependent on results.

Teams ranked 1-8 go straight through to the last 16.

Teams ranked 9-24 play off to make up the other 8 teams in the last 16.

Teams ranked 25-36 are out of Europe. No Europa drop back.

The knockout stages will comprise what they are calling a ‘tennis format’ That is the whole knockout stages are mapped out in advance based on seedlings earned exclusively in the group stages.

So seeds 1 and 2 can not meet before the final. Or indeed any two teams in opposite halves of the draw.

No longer any protection for teams from the same country meeting in any knockout rounds.

The intention is to produce less dead rubbers in the group stages. As the higher seeding you earn, the easier your passage through the knockout stages should be.
That's a bit misleading,
there are no groups anymore but 1 so called 'league' (played in the Swiss System).
There will be only be one league table.

The 8 opponents for those 8 league matches will be drawn from 4 pots (pot 1 being league winners of the 8 highest ranking leagues, 3 other pots filled up for UEFA club coefficient).
2 opponents from each pot - 1 home match, 1 away.

Btw, EL and ConfL will go in the same system in a league of 36 teams.
EL with 8 league matches,
ConfL with only 6 league matches.

I don't mind these proposals as they probably make more sense than the current CL structure.
My main concern is that co-efficient points gained in the Thursday League carry the same value as points gained in the CL under the current system. That means a team doing well in the Thursday League next season could have a high coefficient for the CL when this kicks off in 2024. Hello dippers for example.

That is nonesense imo as it must be easier to gain the coefficient against teams in an inferior competition .

That is nonesense imo as it must be easier to gain the coefficient against teams in an inferior competition .
That was my thought when I first saw the figures, but I was looking at potential opponents last season and I'm fairly sure some clubs with limited CL experience were seeded higher than others with more CL experience for the play-off rounds and subsequent pot placements.
Unless I misread the figures.

It's not really 4 groups of 9 (as it's only this in terms of fixtures). Think of it more as a 36 team league, but you only play a quarter of the teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.