City’s last penalty at Old Trafford

What makes it more astonishing is the football we are playing now and over the last ten years especially,the odds percentages of our team being in attacking positions to see the law of averages of getting a pen must be far higher now,something doesn’t add up ..
In fairness, they rarely get near enough to us to make a tackle at Old Toilet.

Even that was over a decade ago, the last league one more like 20 years ago and iirc the one before that was Franny in the late 60s/early 70s?
Three home penalties in 50 years, in all competitions, is it?
It set me thinking. In over 50 years of following City, the Keith Curle penalty was the only derby one I’ve ever seen live. I haven’t missed many derbies in that time, but I wasn’t at the Vassell one and wasn’t able to attend the Tevez one because the first game was postponed and moved, which meant I couldn’t go as I was abroad. Unbelievable really

That’s a mental stat - especially considering how dominant we’ve been in games there over the past dozen or so seasons - and not something I’ve ever really considered to be honest. I was at that game in the Stretford Paddock with several hundred other blues and have been at all bar three derbies there since.

We definitely should’ve had a penalty in the 6-1 there when Micah was fouled but having not long sent Jonny Evans off, Clattenburg completely and utterly bottled it and did some stupid gesture with his hands to explain why it wasn’t given. I seem to recall a blatant one not given a couple of seasons back towards the end of our 2-0 win as well. And as already mentioned, we should’ve had three in a single derby game at home when that bent **** Oliver was reffing.
The last Maine Rd derby, pretty sure Anelka was taken out by Barthez but play on.

Was that the game we had Heath and Clarke upfront... and we missed a bucketful of chances, we really should have won quite comfortably?

To be honest its not really that much of a shock if you think about it, we didn't play them that much in the 90s the 00s I doubt we got the ball into their half much! so its 15-20 or so league games and its not that uncommon teams mid-lower table will go the whole season without getting a penalty at home, let alone away against one of the better teams in the league... Didn't we have a season maybe under Royle we went until the last game of the season without a penalty home or away?
If Heath and Clarke were the forward pairing, possibly supported by a centre mid of Reid and Megson maybe its no surprise we didnt win. 1st season back in the prem under Keegan we got our only pen very late in the season at Anfield. Anelka scored the pen and then a late winner helped by a great performance by Schmeichel Snr.

If Heath and Clarke were the forward pairing, possibly supported by a centre mid of Reid and Megson maybe its no surprise we didnt win. 1st season back in the prem under Keegan we got our only pen very late in the season at Anfield. Anelka scored the pen and then a late winner helped by a great performance by Schmeichel Snr.
Yes thats right I was thinking it was against Liverpool, that in itself is damn remarkable! wasn't the pen really late on too with the winner in injury time.

I was there, David White missed a sitter right at the end for the win
Still think back to that last min miss.haunts me to this day.

What I did like about White that night was his dribble from the left hand side of the box destroying Steve Bruce for pace ,drawing the foul for the pen...and then as he got up from the turf,he gave fatty Bruce a right earful of abuse. Bruce was distraught.

One of my fav ever games watching City away,and the goal celebration was mental.bedlam.

these things even themselves out over the season
I've got a long standing WHU mate who trots this line out every time I talk about corruption/ utd favouritism...he genuinely believes this to be the case. Leaves me gobsmacked..got a lot of respect for his footballing knowledge,....he's been watching the hammers longer than I've been watching City..and he's just got me a tic in the home end for our game down there..so I'm pleased I've never fell out with him,over the years ; )

Just out of anger, er I mean interest does anyone know how many pens the rags have had against us in the time since curle's penalty?

It was. Id written my car off on the M5 that morning and was in a neck brace. Limbs indeed.
Can see in the vid that we all jumped up in sync, a singilar en masse leap

Im pretty sure it was after that game, but when they kept us in there was pockets of blues in the paddock and stretford end that the police had circled and kept in.

We were all singing “elton welsbt youre wanker youre wanker” as we could see him in the tv box
We also sang " Ten men .you couldn't beat ten men !!"
Pointon sent off for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.