City become the most watched PL team in the US

Speaking of Becky Lowe; that girl has a cult following here, especially amongst the - what I would call - newer footy fans. I was at one of the NBC fan fests a few years back here in Boston and everywhere she went, guys were falling over themselves to catch her eye. I didn't realize that she was so tiny. But boy does she have fans.

I had a great chat with Kyle Martino that day; big City fan - well of the football City play anyway - who is no longer with NBC. Lovely guy. Plus got a selfie with the legendary Shawn Wright-Phillips. My son grew up watching him on the old Fox Sports Network when we were on so was gobsmacked to meet him.
A few years ago when Martino was still on NBC my husband showed up for his traditional Thanksgiving Day alumni “soccer” game at his high school. Martino who had attended the school was there and my husband said it was great fun to play with him.

I always tell people the PL is a great sport for Americans with little kids - because games are on in the AM when your kids have gotten up at an ungodly hour.

The World Cup always bring a lot of extra focus to football here and I’m sure City having quite a few of the young stars, has only helped.

And although you give us new American fans a bit of shit on here, it’s not terrible. And probably, as a woman, not any worse than I’d get on an NFL forum!

Not a lot. It’s not like every US household turns into the CL final. That final was also against Inter and not a Real Madrid, Barca or Bayern.
Did we not beat Bayern and Madrid?

Also, per my post above. This is the World Cup effect in suburban America. Which translated nicely to City 8 months or so later.

Attachments

• IMG_9196.jpeg
    IMG_9196.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 53
A few years ago when Martino was still on NBC my husband showed up for his traditional Thanksgiving Day alumni “soccer” game at his high school. Martino who had attended the school was there and my husband said it was great fun to play with him.

I always tell people the PL is a great sport for Americans with little kids - because games are on in the AM when your kids have gotten up at an ungodly hour.

The World Cup always bring a lot of extra focus to football here and I’m sure City having quite a few of the young stars, has only helped.

And although you give us new American fans a bit of shit on here, it’s not terrible. And probably, as a woman, not any worse than I’d get on an NFL forum!
I agree 100%. I am a huge futbol fan because of EPL mornings. Wake up. Grab some coffee and watch the game. No commercials is a big bonus. As an American college football fan, the only thing I hate about our sport is the ridiculous length of games and fucking commercials every 5 sec

The answer is obvious. Yanks like winners. When our form drops off so will most of them.
It's not just winners, they like watching exciting teams and exciting plays, so we are the natural attraction.

To me it's no coincidence that the International TV rights for the PL sky rocketed after 2012 and the Aguero moment. (The PL should be on their knees thanking us for that, rather than trying to tarnish us every fucking week!)

I know that there's been a general increase in popularity of the game abroad and in the US, but our continued success and the current financial climate has resulted in perfect storm for our club and our owner.
We are now the best team in the World, playing brilliant football and consistently winning under the World's best manager in Pep and our popularity among fans and investors alike in the US has coincided and grown because of that.

Long may it continue - COME ON CITY!!!

Also, Americans love a narrative and City has them in spades -

Local boy makes good - Foden
Father son pair - Haaland
Cerebral player with a fashion quirk - Rodri
Brady-level intensity with training and nutrition - Dias
Makes you cry when he does the hospital visit or talks about animals - Grealish
Hidden gem - Alvarez
Defies the physical odds - Bernardo
Tabloid bad boy - Walker
Rises like a Phoenix from past rejection - DeBruyne
And more…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.