City in the 90s/early 2000’s

Citizen Green

Different topic this but I was thinking recently after hearing some proper mental breakdowns following the palace result a few weeks back, how on earth did some cope when we were legitimately sh*t with little, to no hope? I know it’s all relative like, but Jesus it was eye opening.

I’ve always believed City fans are at their best during times of adversity, when things can’t get any worse (they often did) we seemed to get better. I was at school during the 90’s in South Manchester & saw many a blue abandon the club to support them as they couldn’t handle it anymore, the torment from reds, embarrassment at City’s results & so on, despite in some cases coming from actual blue match-going households (all the sweeter now)

Anyway my question is, with City at an all time low, & let’s face it a laughing stock of a football club, whilst United were at their absolute pomp picking up plaudits & supporters from all over the world… how did you cope and see it through? What was it that made you keep coming back for more pain?

Interestingly in terms of fan-engagement I’ve always said the Pearce era, having lost Maine Road, was even worse for our fan base because we’d lost our sense of identity having left ‘home’ &, whilst the 90’s were turgid, they were at least exciting if not anything.

It was a batten down the hatches mentality for me. Winning really didn’t matter, it was my club and if anything, that period made me far more attached to City than anything before or since.

It was a different time but in so many ways it was crucial - fans of my generation (39/40) were forged in the fires of 96-2000.

Going to Maine rd when we had the kippax as a terrace was special. A real buzz, I was lucky I got to experience that although i was circa 15 when it was knocked down. Football got very sanitised in the late 90's as the terraces went and corporates moved in. Moving to eastlands as it was at the time was not that big a deal as most fans recognised that maine rd was shit by then and so was the football. We needed to move on. Everton are in a similar place now, they need a new chapter.

We dealt with it by getting up, dressed get to Maine Road or away and getting behind the players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.