City in the 90s/early 2000’s

Different topic this but I was thinking recently after hearing some proper mental breakdowns following the palace result a few weeks back, how on earth did some cope when we were legitimately sh*t with little, to no hope? I know it’s all relative like, but Jesus it was eye opening.

I’ve always believed City fans are at their best during times of adversity, when things can’t get any worse (they often did) we seemed to get better. I was at school during the 90’s in South Manchester & saw many a blue abandon the club to support them as they couldn’t handle it anymore, the torment from reds, embarrassment at City’s results & so on, despite in some cases coming from actual blue match-going households (all the sweeter now)

Anyway my question is, with City at an all time low, & let’s face it a laughing stock of a football club, whilst United were at their absolute pomp picking up plaudits & supporters from all over the world… how did you cope and see it through? What was it that made you keep coming back for more pain?

Interestingly in terms of fan-engagement I’ve always said the Pearce era, having lost Maine Road, was even worse for our fan base because we’d lost our sense of identity having left ‘home’ &, whilst the 90’s were turgid, they were at least exciting if not anything.
The worse the team became the more fanatical I became. And that was true of most of our support. I attended more home and away matches in Division 2 than any other season since..and I was travelling from Scotland in those days. It became a total obsession for me. The Pearce era was certainly more depressing. The reason for that is simple. I have supported City for almost 60 years and have seen plenty of shite teams but the only time it has been boring watching City was under Stuart Pearce.

We expected to lose so defeats didn’t hurt as much and usually didn’t do much damage as the teams around us were losing too

There was always next week

Also I was younger so football revolved as much around mates and beer as the actual football. We had a mind frame that city being shit wasn’t going to ruin our day / night

Really disagree with the defeats not hurting as much. It was much worse, for me at least.

It was horrendous and regularly ruined my weekend. Especially when those tw@ts were cleaning up

The worse the team became the more fanatical I became. And that was true of most of our support. I attended more home and away matches in Division 2 than any other season since..and I was travelling from Scotland in those days. It became a total obsession for me. The Pearce era was certainly more depressing. The reason for that is simple. I have supported City for almost 60 years and have seen plenty of shite teams but the only time it has been boring watching City was under Stuart Pearce.
There is a novelty of playing a random team from lower down the pyramid. The top flight is boring. Same 10 clubs every year, then another 10 from a small pool who have good and bad spells.

The unpredictability of having a team that blows hot and cold and playing, Scunthorpe, Oldham Ipswich or Preston or the like. Clubs where you know f'all about the players. No Match of the day or anything - your lucky if you catch the goals on North West tonight or some awful lower league football show. If you want to know you have to be there. Home or away. You lose its awful, you win its great. Always another game next week.

Living on the Fylde I worked with scores of rags. The genuine match going ex pat Mancs were very thin on the ground but knowing I went to most home games and many aways showed me respect. The dickheads from all corners of the country who couldn't find OT on a map I took the piss out of unmercifully asking them why they didn't support their local teams. To my shame I called them " sad m****h bastards and when they boasted of the rags latest triumph would ask what business it was of theirs. After City's defeats I would just say f**k off. I was never remotely hard but if you stand your ground and refuse to be intimidated you can f**k most lilly livered plastic rags off easily enough. As I said the match going ex pat rags were sound with me and reserved their bile for plastic scousers of whom there where many.

Watching a game in the US in a bar or even being on a few US supporters club facebook pages, I ask myself the same question every time City do not win / go behind.
York away, Wycombe away, Mansfield in the Auto Windscreen thingy..... there would be mass suicides in the States following those results.
Pep is a spent force and it's time to go (Chelsea away, Spurs and Palace at home and half time Saturday)
Pep is a fucking genius and needs to stay longer (full time Saturday)

For every relegation we had a promotion. It balanced out, and we were still doing better than most clubs in the country most years.

Outside the top four isn't "shit". We rarely got 30k in the mid 90s either before or after then new kippax, loads of big fans now stayed away back then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.