City in the 90s/early 2000’s

For every relegation we had a promotion. It balanced out, and we were still doing better than most clubs in the country most years.

Outside the top four isn't "shit". We rarely got 30k in the mid 90s either before or after then new kippax, loads of big fans now stayed away back then.
Fan basis change. I was a teenager in the 90s. I went all the time. I rarely go now. I'm glad I lived through that and wouldn't swap it.

I was also a teenager in the 90’s. I look back on that period with great affection. There were plenty of good moments to see you through. Gillingham at Wembley, Blackburn away, the Keegan promotion winning season, winning the final derby at Maine Road, to name but a few.

One dark spot that sticks out was losing at home to Bury on Valentine’s Day in 98. I was sulking beyond belief and refused to turn up for a date with my then girlfriend (she’d gone to quite a lot of effort).

I was single a week later :-)

Living on the Fylde I worked with scores of rags. The genuine match going ex pat Mancs were very thin on the ground but knowing I went to most home games and many aways showed me respect. The dickheads from all corners of the country who couldn't find OT on a map I took the piss out of unmercifully asking them why they didn't support their local teams. To my shame I called them " sad m****h bastards and when they boasted of the rags latest triumph would ask what business it was of theirs. After City's defeats I would just say f**k off. I was never remotely hard but if you stand your ground and refuse to be intimidated you can f**k most lilly livered plastic rags off easily enough. As I said the match going ex pat rags were sound with me and reserved their bile for plastic scousers of whom there where many.
Just to add I took early retirement in 2010 my one regret is the stick I could have given the plastic rags in 2011 and 2012 had I still been at work.

Getting beat at home by Stockport County was an all time low. Especially as I shared a house with a County fan at the time.

Getting beat at home by Stockport County was an all time low. Especially as I shared a house with a County fan at the time.
My all time low was getting beat at home by Oxford, couldn’t believe it at the time and me and a mate were the last out of Maine rd

People of a certain age may agree or disagree with me but being a blue back in the 80s 90s 00s was the best ever and although our success now is brilliant, I think back when we were shit, unpredictable and in utter fucking turmoil was so so so much better and I wouldn’t swap those times and memories for the world.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

In all seriousness, Blackpool home in 1998 and Swindon away in maybe 1999 or 2000 were my first matches of those types. Anything since has been a bonus.

It’s kept me grounded.

Going to Maine rd when we had the kippax as a terrace was special. A real buzz, I was lucky I got to experience that although i was circa 15 when it was knocked down. Football got very sanitised in the late 90's as the terraces went and corporates moved in. Moving to eastlands as it was at the time was not that big a deal as most fans recognised that maine rd was shit by then and so was the football. We needed to move on. Everton are in a similar place now, they need a new chapter.
Everton are looking straight at a new chapter alright
Brand new...in the championship. For the 1st time ever.
I won't miss them.

Watching City back in those days was hard,but I was a fanatic back then,less cynical,and drunk a lot more to soften the pain.
Different days.

Reactions: PPT

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.