City v Arsenal friendly post match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheMightyQuinn said:
Ric said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Not at all but context is everything surely?

A friendly is a friendly at the end of the day.

I'm no more concerned after this result than I thought we were potential world beaters after a decent showing against Bayern.

We'll take six points from Arsenal this season. There's nothing to worry about.

The Newcastle result/performance will be much more telling in terms of what we might do this season. This result doesn't mean much, I'd rather we got through the game injury free than with a result because at this stage the results aren't important to anyone.

Of course, and I agree with almost everything you say.

But in a thread regarding this particular game, I think some legitimate concerns are addressed. Surely people are entitled to raise those issues without being ridiculed?

I wasn't ridiculing anyone in particular. I was being topical, like Ben Elton.

Fair enough.

Just feels to me like some people (and trust me there are plenty worse than you for this) seem more intent on either being a bit controversial, or ridiculing other City fans.

Not sure why people feel the need to do so, but each to their own. Why not discuss specifics like adults?!

For instance, what are your thoughts on the high line/pressing game employed by Pellegrini so far?

I think we'll be fine. Obviously i'd a prefer a win, but, if it meant papering over the cracks in pre-season, then a loss is probably more beneficial.

Code:
BlueAnorak said:
Ric said:
However, there is a bit of concern over the way we're shipping goals at present. Much has been made of Pellegrini's attacking approach, but the high line and pressing we've employed pre-season haven't been a resounding success, it's fair to say. Both Arsenal and Milan before them have cut through our back line with alarming ease at times..

What pressing? There has been no evidence of ANY pressing in the last two games.
YaYa was the guy mainly responsible for our defence being sliced open today. He was in lazy mode and didn't close down Arse players anything like quickly enough. The result was through balls behind the back line that we didn't handle well.

I should also add that the team was also unbalanced today with most attacking ending up going down the right flank,

I don't think we will win the league this season playing a high line. Teams like Arsenal will turn us over.

Ha fair enough! I've thought over pre-season we've pressed more, Fernandino in particular but it was noticeably a bit half arsed today.

Tell you what, Fernandinho looked class once again. Can't wait to see him this season, think he's going to be a big success.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Is SHB still ranting and raving about a game he didn't even watch.

just to help you out im 28
Narghhh.just putting my fucking huge deep water fishing rod away..!!!

Great afternoon...the matchday forum never fails..i thought duc may have banned me but there you go...

Roll on newcastle..told you last season i wont be going near this place again but just wanted to test the water...hart a liability..i had to punch myself after writing..sorry wumming that..

Stick to ice hockey.

Ric said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Ric said:

But in a thread regarding this particular game, I think some legitimate concerns are addressed. Surely people are entitled to raise those issues without being ridiculed?

Fair enough.

Just feels to me like some people (and trust me there are plenty worse than you for this) seem more intent on either being a bit controversial, or ridiculing other City fans.

Not sure why people feel the need to do so, but each to their own. Why not discuss specifics like adults?!

For instance, what are your thoughts on the high line/pressing game employed by Pellegrini so far?

Will not work with YaYa he needs moving forward drop Jimmy back and everybody needs a yard more pace and urgency

Yes, it was a friendly but performances are performances. And todays performance was poor in some respects. I am a bit disappointed in some of our play. Not the particular players, who all seemed to have done well.

But here are my issues:

1. We were still predominantly up the middle. Granted, we did not start with Navas, so there was little wingplay ( but this is worrisome. What happens if Navas gets injured?) Are we gonna revert back to Silva up the middle?

2. I was a bit disappointed in the way we defended after losing possession. It was haphazard. I am not talking about when we are back on our heels on their counter attacks ( which led to their goals), but rather, when we lost possession in their half. I was expecting a bit more of a very organized defensive approach to retrieving the ball. Something like the Barcelona 6 second rule, and early close down defending. We did that early in the Audi cup. I was hoping to see improvements on it. Unfortunately, we seemed to have reverted back to last season weak high defense.

3 Ofense on the left was really poor, and that is worrisome. Starting Silva on the left and having him drift into the middle doesn't help wide play on the left. And we really don't have a Navas type leftsided player to do the job.

4, Our transition defense (i.e. when we were countered and conceeded goals, needs to be better).

Outside of those factors, I think we were decent in the game. Not great, but okay offensively.

Eccles Blue said:
A very thoughtful and insightful posting Ric and I agree with you about being concerned about the goals going in. My main concern however tonight was Vincent Kompany's interview on the OS. 'The team are tired, ............they've had a busy week.' I am sorry but I cannot accept that sort of an excuse from our Captain. If they are tired after 2 matches and an appearance at the City live thing the other night how are they going to cope with a full season with Cup matches, League matches and Champions League matches?

You know, better than most on here Ric, that VK is my hero but toward the end of last season, after the debacle of the FA Cup, he made the same excuse and I don't think it is good enough. These players are paid to be professionals and if they can't be professional and look at their performance in a professional manner and say 'We are sorry, we made a hash of that but we will improve' then why are they turning out? I never thought I would see the day when I was so disappointed in Vincent Kompany.

My half full glass is rapidly emptying!! Not because I don't think we will do well this season, I am sure that this is a wake up call, but because I cannot accept those sort of excuses. I make no comment about the match itself or how we played because I didn't see any of it, just commenting on VK's excuses. Just my humble opinion.

Onwards and upwards with Manchester City. The Boys in Blue never (used to) give in.

I am sure VK was not referring to the 2 half paced friendlies/training matches and City Live. He may have been referring to the fact that the players would have been in very hard training mode on a daily basis.

I might suggest people have a read about tapering. Its a way of making sure that a person reaches a specific point in peak condition and maybe just maybe we are not at that point yet.

So whilst I am not saying all is perfect its not yet time to find another club to support

daxman said:
Yes, it was a friendly but performances are performances. And todays performance was poor in some respects. I am a bit disappointed in some of our play. Not the particular players, who all seemed to have done well.

But here are my issues:

1. We were still predominantly up the middle. Granted, we did not start with Navas, so there was little wingplay ( but this is worrisome. What happens if Navas gets injured?) Are we gonna revert back to Silva up the middle?

2. I was a bit disappointed in the way we defended after losing possession. It was haphazard. I am not talking about when we are back on our heels on their counter attacks ( which led to their goals), but rather, when we lost possession in their half. I was expecting a bit more of a very organized defensive approach to retrieving the ball. Something like the Barcelona 6 second rule, and early close down defending. We did that early in the Audi cup. I was hoping to see improvements on it. Unfortunately, we seemed to have reverted back to last season weak high defense.

3 Ofense on the left was really poor, and that is worrisome. Starting Silva on the left and having him drift into the middle doesn't help wide play on the left. And we really don't have a Navas type leftsided player to do the job.

4, Our transition defense (i.e. when we were countered and conceeded goals, needs to be better).

Outside of those factors, I think we were decent in the game. Not great, but okay offensively.

One more point - our 'more direct' style gives the ball to the other team. They hoof it upfield and score.

Ric said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Ric said:

Fair enough.

I've watched all the pre-season games and haven't seen any sign of us pressing for the ball! Certainly not for sustained periods anyway, It's quite clear without Aguero we'll struggle to score goals. Playing a high line means the defenders have to communicate very well, that's a big fat fail so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.