City Voice - Name the stand

Support is growing for the opportunity to be taken now, with the new upper tier opening, to re-name the South Stand .
THE ARDWICK END - many fans agree with this suggestion to give the END a real identity and a name with meaning.

Having listened to lots of fans and discussed this with pals all agree that THE ARDWICK END would be a great name for the reasons set out below. I also firmly believe that we should have names for all 4 stands rather than bland points on a compass and that two of them should be called ENDS.

We already have THE COLIN BELL STAND (West)

Here are suggestions for the other three, to be named when the time is right.

(1) THE ARDWICK END (South)

(2) THE KIPPAX (East)

(3) THE TRAUTMANN END (North)

I appreciate that there is bound to be a debate about (2) and (3) above.

We must also find an appropriate way of recognising Tony Book who is at least as deserving as Bert but unfortunately it simply does not work well to name a stand the Book End or the Book Stand.

Reasons for THE ARDWICK END

* MANCHESTER CITY FC were formed in 1894 directly from Ardwick AFC;
* CITY`s first ground was formerly that of Ardwick`s, located off Hyde Road, Ardwick;
*the site of CITY`s first ground can still be seen from a main railway line into Piccadilly Station and from Ardwick Railway Station;
* Ardwick, as an area, is south west of the South Stand ,walking distance from THE ETIHAD where thousands pass through to every home match, and can probably be seen from the new stand;
*the name of ARDWICK resonates with CITY`s history;
* the district of Ardwick is well known (Ardwick Green, Ardwick Apollo,Ardwick Lads` Club, Fort Ardwick (Coverdale Crescent) and will always exist in Manchester.
* The name easily lends itself to songs and chants.
* the 1894 Group will be going from strength to strength in the new end - 1894 was when CITY were formed from ARDWICK.
* ARDWICK links the past, present and the future and resonates more than any other alternative.

I like the idea of considering the name the ardwick end and for the reason you give, and the suggestion of the north being the trautmann stand I love, the east stand, I was originally in when we moved but never called it anything but east stand there's only one Kippax for me, though I know it's popular with a lot

Other thing is when I grew up me grandad and dad taught me City come from Gorton not ardwick and I feel pride in that being a gorton lad, I would hate for that to be lost on newer, younger fans by it not being recognised in some way when we talk about our origins

Last edited:
Yes, a key figure and maybe deserving of recognition in another way, however the Josh Parlby End / Stand is not likely to resonate with our fans in the same manner as most of the alternatives. My opinion is that the Josh Parlby Stand / End would not be an excellent choice / link to a stand /end. The information and links that you promote are interesting.

Personally, I think we can do better at CITY than stick with the generic name of the South Stand. THE ARDWICK END suggestion is not the name of a person. A rationale has been set out. Some will agree, some not. It would be good to understand as part of the debate if there is support for the suggestion (many have said they like the name - THE ARDWICK END) , or not, and if not, why and what would be better.

As I said, I don't agree with naming any stand after a person, I just threw that in for those that do. Earlier in the thread I did suggest the Gorton End/Stand as that's the direction from the pitch of the stand, and the club was formed in Gorton originally. Both geographically and historically it works - you can even see the buildings that have been erected on Clowes St and on Wenlock Way/Thomas Street where our first players came from and where evidence suggests our first pitch was. From Gorton Park - the only former MCFC pitch still existing - you can see the South Stand etc.
Ardwick is of course very important to our history, but so is Gorton. Worth noting that for a while both Ardwick AFC and MCFC existed at the same time. Ardwick even played a game after MCFC was established. Ultimately, those who wanted Ardwick to continue as a separate entity gave up, and MCFC became the sole force.

Edit: worth remembering as well that the only league seasons played under the name Ardwick were pretty disastrous. Poor performances, crowds dropping, financial issues - it might be worth remembering that, but I tend to think it's more important to focus on the club's birth - either as MCFC or in 1880 when based in West Gorton. I don't think the club want a permanent name for the stand judging by the original questionnaire (but I could be wrong of course), but if they do then names associated with 1894 may be important - 1894 itself of course, or we could be a bit left-field and think of names directly associated with what happened. The meeting to accept us into the League was held, on the day the Ship Canal was officially opened by Victoria, in the Old Boar's Head in Manchester. Ah, wait maybe not - we couldn't have an 'Old Boar's Stand' (not one we're trying to get atmosphere going from)!

It's always difficult naming stands and people will always get upset about these things. At Maine Road no one ever sat down when it was built and said "Right, what shall we call this stand?" They just assumed names because of their location - Platt Lane nearest main road to that end; main stand (often called Grand Stand in early days); Scoreboard End - because the scoreboard's there; Popular Side (because that was a common term). Later the Kippax Street Stand (to give the terracing its full name) was decided by someone in the club because it was the street that led on to the stand. The only names deliberately chosen after that were the North Stand (instead of scoreboard or Claremont Road End), Umbro Stand (sponsorship, then renamed Platt Lane again), and then the 'new' Kippax Stand.

Last edited:
South stand: The Rowsley St end/ stand.

This is the name of the St behind the South east corner and the address of the club. In time it will have its own identity.

Haven't got a clue who/ what Rowsley was though- except the place in Derbyshire.

Oh and in time it could also be renamed after somebody at the club since we moved to this stadium

I know he could have said no.... but the only person the club should have consulted to organise and/or suggest names is Gary James ;) ....he would know why and be correct about any historical facts/links as shown above ref Ardwick/Gorton,which would probably change alot of views about Ardwick?. Then a poll on most popular few for any stand.

As I said, I don't agree with naming any stand after a person, I just threw that in for those that do. Earlier in the thread I did suggest the Gorton End/Stand as that's the direction from the pitch of the stand, and the club was formed in Gorton originally. Both geographically and historically it works - you can even see the buildings that have been erected on Clowes St and on Wenlock Way/Thomas Street where our first players came from and where evidence suggests our first pitch was. From Gorton Park - the only former MCFC pitch still existing - you can see the South Stand etc.
Ardwick is of course very important to our history, but so is Gorton. Worth noting that for a while both Ardwick AFC and MCFC existed at the same time. Ardwick even played a game after MCFC was established. Ultimately, those who wanted Ardwick to continue as a separate entity gave up, and MCFC became the sole force.

Edit: worth remembering as well that the only league seasons played under the name Ardwick were pretty disastrous. Poor performances, crowds dropping, financial issues - it might be worth remembering that, but I tend to think it's more important to focus on the club's birth - either as MCFC or in 1880 when based in West Gorton. I don't think the club want a permanent name for the stand judging by the original questionnaire (but I could be wrong of course), but if they do then names associated with 1894 may be important - 1894 itself of course, or we could be a bit left-field and think of names directly associated with what happened. The meeting to accept us into the League was held, on the day the Ship Canal was officially opened by Victoria, in the Old Boar's Head in Manchester. Ah, wait maybe not - we couldn't have an 'Old Boar's Stand' (not one we're trying to get atmosphere going from)!

It's always difficult naming stands and people will always get upset about these things. At Maine Road no one ever sat down when it was built and said "Right, what shall we call this stand?" They just assumed names because of their location - Platt Lane nearest main road to that end; main stand (often called Grand Stand in early days); Scoreboard End - because the scoreboard's there; Popular Side (because that was a common term). Later the Kippax Street Stand (to give the terracing its full name) was decided by someone in the club because it was the street that led on to the stand. The only names deliberately chosen after that were the North Stand (instead of scoreboard or Claremont Road End), Umbro Stand (sponsorship, then renamed Platt Lane again), and then the 'new' Kippax Stand.

Thanks Gary.

The reasons for suggesting THE ARDWICK END remain entirely valid and it also works historically and geographically which I do not think you have challenged. The currently named South Stand can also be seen from the former site of City`s first ground in Ardwick. Manchester City have also had many difficult years, periods of poor performances and financial difficulties which is simply part of our history as it was for Ardwick. I suspect it was not all sweetness and light for St Mark`s before then.

You may recall in an earlier post I said I liked the Gorton End and that it was growing on me.

I believe both the Gorton End and THE ARDWICK END are preferable to the name of the South Stand which I understood you preferred not to change. There are bound to be a number of opinions. Personally, I do not get upset over this type of matter but I am not alone in not liking the inference / suggestion coming from the City Voice survey that the stand be named after a Cityzen for each PL game and would be perturbed if this actually happened. Every stand / end should have a meaningful identity.This is why this latest debate arose.

We already have THE COLIN BELL STAND. I think it is a good time to think about a new name for the expanded South Stand for reasons previously stated. Rather than doing this in isolation why not also identify better names for the two other stands (to be re-named at the appropriate time to maximise positive PR and exposure), rather than leaving them as East and North / Family, which just happen to be called after points on a compass. We can do better than that.

I personally believe,as some other contributors do, that there was only one Kippax. However every time this debate commences there are many who still want The Kippax to be the name of a stand and I can understand why. Bert Trautmann is always put forward too. Again, I fully understand why. Personally I consider that Tony Book is equally deserving but it would not really work to have a Book Stand / End. Not to properly recognise The Kippax and Trautmann would cause unnecessary upset amongst too many.

Whilst there may not have been much thought behind the naming of most of the stands at Maine Road we now actually have the chance to do so and if we can stimulate and influence this we should. This way we will not end up with a Gwladys Street as at Everton which is difficult enough to say let alone spell and, whilst Geo was a star,we do not want a Kinky End.

The question is do we want 3 stands to remain as South, East and North (Family) or something better? I have stuck my neck out with 3 suggestions knowing that opinions will differ. If there are better suggestions and sound reasons that can only be good for the club and the stadium.

Just name it The Gary James Stand and be done with it :D

Shirley the club have consulted with him before going down the road of renaming stands?
Or the PR Dept fresh out of Oxford Uni have just decided on what will get the most tweets and gone with the - name the stand after some Vietnamese dude.

To be fair, regardless of what the club officially call the stand, there's nothing to stop the fans in that stand from giving it its own identity anyway. If the stand regulars started a chant like "we are The Gorton/Ardwick" then it'd catch on if enough felt it was appropriate. Let's face it other ends/grounds were not always known by their real names - Highbury, Upton Park etc. pretty sure The Shed wasn't the official original name at Chelsea either (but could be wrong).

Best example of City fans creating a name that then became fixed - the Gene Kelly! By 2004 even MCFC referred back to the name of the temporary stand as if it had been an official name!

Largely forgotten now, but the club made an absolute balls up of the naming of the West Stand when we moved to this stadium. I rather fear that this time we'll get some dreadful gimmicky marketing-based nonsense cooked up based on online consultation with, primarily, people who've never been near east Manchester - instead of something meaningful in terms of the heritage of the club. (Yes, I'm in full 'grumpy old bastard' mode today).

As for the South Stand, I can understand why people are slightly dubious about naming stands after a person. After all, it rather encourages the kind of situation we've seen at Molineux, where, when the ground was rebuilt in the 1990s, they named all the stands after important Wolves figures - and they've since stripped two of them of the honour so that they can name those stands after other people!

Nonetheless, I'm firmly for The Bert Trautmann Stand. I don't look at it from the point of view purely of what he did for the club, either, but what he meant in the football world. He exemplifies what our owner and key stakeholders profess to want MCFC to be all about. He was recognised by contemporaries as easily the best player in his position in Britain for most of his career, and was known across Europe as a genuinely world class player - he was cited as such, for instance, by the goalkeeper often named the greatest ever to play the game, who made it clear he regarded Bert as an equal - and is arguably the only player we ever had before the ADUG era to gain that kind of recognition. He's associated with one of the most iconic episodes of English football's showpiece occasion.

However, his story transcends football. He was awarded the OBE for promoting Anglo-German understanding through football, and the way he achieved that in the face of the hostility he encountered after joining City was truly a remarkable feat. Indoctrinated as a kid by one of the most evil regimes the world has seen, he credited the people of the north west of England, and Manchester in particular, as "special people" who'd given him his "education", showing the affinity he developed for us and our City.

For me, the bottom line is that if we name that stand after Bert, we make a powerful statement about the values we aspire to have as a club. There's no one else about whom that can be said in both on-field and off-field terms.

I know when we moved to the new ground, the stands were originally given the bland, unimaginative names they currently bear because the intention was for the fans to name one and the other three to be named after sponsors paying for the privilege. However, I assume that's not in prospect now that the position with regard to stadium naming rights has changed. As far as I'm aware (though I stand to be corrected), most grounds that are referred to by a sponsor's name don't see naming rights to stands.

As an alternative to naming stands after people, I always liked the idea of the Gasworks End and the Colliery End for the two ends at our place in a nod to our industrial heritage. I fancied the Maine Stand for the West Stand as well, in a nod to our spiritual home.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.