City Voice - Name the stand

A little snippet - When Corrie did an episode at Maine Rd in the 60s the prog used the name 'The City End' instead of 'Scoreboard End' for some reason. It showed several characters, including Annie Walker, Stan Ogden and Len Fairclough on the terracing during the match (been mentioned several times on other threads).

It would be worth anyone who seriously believes they have options for the stand that are worth debating to contact City directly and get their opinions. I'm sure they'd listen. Anyway, I'm off now. Probably my last contribution on this thread for a while at least. Cheers

Gary, is there any clip for that? I'd love to see it. Gary? (He's gone. Lying on Ancoats beach by now…)

With up to 3,000 away fans in the end for each PL game, albeit to be split over 3 levels in narrower seating bands, and up to 6,000 away fans for some cup games, this name does not quite work.

No mate, not as in the "Manchester City F.C." End,, the end closest to the city of Manchester, I.e. Our city. Justt as WBA have the Smethwick End, Blackburn have the Darwen End and they have the end closest to Stretford., their home town.

I think you wanted the stand to remain as The South Stand. I contacted the club directly a week ago to suggest alternative options for the blandly named South, East and North (Family) Stands / Ends. Cheers.
I'd like the stand to have its own identity and whether that be South Stand, Gorton End, 1894 Stand or the "we never win at home and we never win away stand" doesn't really matter to me, but what does matter is that any renaming has to be right for the image of the club and for the people who will sit in that stand. It can't be done on a whim, or as a marketing ploy, it has to be done because it is absolutely the right thing to do. Even though I'm an historian I want the name to be right for the present generation and not something that necessarily is a reminder of the past. I believe South Stand attendees have, like the old North Stand attendees at Maine Road, already given the stand a strong voice and identity. Any new name must take what the South Stand attendees have done and build on that. They've given the stand its voice, they've generated the atmosphere. I'd hate their work to be tossed aside as a name that weakens the stand's identity that they've worked so hard to establish is selected. I also don't really like naming stands after individuals as I've said before but, and this is crucial, I'm only 1 voice and I don't personally sit in the South Stand.

I'd like it to remain the SOUTH stand ......Its not bland ...The North Stand stood the test of time too. The majority in there have chants based around the SOUTH STAND or have been going in the South Stand since it went back from THE (daft) KEY 103 Stand. Leave it alone ffs. It's taken over ten years to get used to it............

The East Stand should be The Kippax though ;)

No one chants WE ARE THE EAST STand

Plenty chant We are the Kippax and We are the South stand

Listen to the fans who attend and stand in these areas

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.