City's best ever goal mouth scramble.... 29 years ago today!

Mad away days happy memories, had a few of those at Blackpool! One was a pre season friendly when I was about 16, with my mate Noel. We got there early and just as we turned into a road near the ground four lads spotted us and started to close in. Just as I thought we were in for a kicking I heard a load of blues singing and as they came around the corner the lads legged it, closely followed by the blues, including us now the tables were turned lol!

Another was around 1978-79 a league cup tie and I think we drew. Had an afternoon on the lash, an argument with the bus driver on the way to town that was the start. We got on the train at Victoria and loads of Blues on it. As I went into the next carriage there was a commotion behind me and I realised it was my mate struggling with a big bloke who was throttling him over a seat, so a few of us dragged him off, the bloke decided to get the next train and left.

There was no seats so we asked the guard if we could sit in his van and he said ok. At Chorley a load of police got on and ordered all of us in the guards van off the train. I hesitated and was dragged by my hair onto the platform by a copper.We were all searched and someone handcuffed and arrested, he had stolen something from the guards van. To our horror the train then started to move off without us and we were all ordered off the station even though we had done nothing wrong. In those days football fans had zero rights.

Somebody shouted there was a coach station around the corner so we all ended up piling onto a service bus, much to the horror of the normal passengers on there. At the ground it was the usual mayhem, running skirmishes, the same on the way home, happy days!

That would be 83/84 season, if I remember rightly Easter game Good Friday/Easter Monday, score was 2-2. Official crowd was around 20k (yes, at Oldham!). Nobody knows how many were really there, loads of Blues just climbing in/rushing turnstiles. Our fans had a ladder up into the Oldham main stand and were climbing up there 1/2 hour before kick off whilst players were warming up. I stood in the away end, could see all the Blues in the chaddy end, especially near front, non stop trouble the whole game. Absolutely wild away game, those really were the days, went to loads of aways and for any local ones 5-10,000 Blues was commonplace.
Yeh fuckin great. I was about 7 and was in the Oldham main stand with my dad when all the city fans climbed up and I got thrown down about 3 rows and my dad got punched for trying to protect me. I had city colours on as well!! My dad didn't take me again for 5 fuckin years after that. So Yeh great laugh. Cheers. Knobs

Remember all 3 Blackpool aways in the mid 80''s all three visits were mad as fuck. Oldham away Good Friday you had to be there to believe. We have had more than our fair share of loony tunes over the years.

I think I may have this on cassette with Brian Clarke commentating. [Piccadilly Radio]

Used to record a lot back then, and James H Reeve's post match phone-in including Paul Stewart's brother ringing in to have a go at the Doc.

haha i remember paul stewart's brother on the phone in, docherty used to give paul loads of stick every week and he'd had enough of it!

Remember all 3 Blackpool aways in the mid 80''s all three visits were mad as fuck. Oldham away Good Friday you had to be there to believe. We have had more than our fair share of loony tunes over the years.
There was 1 old steward trying to stop City fans climbing from the Rochdale Rd stand into the Ford stand paddock for about 15 mins with no help, probably due to fights everywhere else.

Once the ladder appeared it was a free for all and the sight of City fans hurling seats at the coppers who had retired to the side of the pitch was probably the most mass lawless thing off the top of my head I've seen with City.

Oldham Good Friday 1984 was mental, they were just nicking anyone, a mate of mine was nicked and ended up in court even though he'd done nothing. After the game I saw stuff that still sickens me, cars being attacked, shops robbed. I don't know how society tolerated football fans in the 80s.

There was 1 old steward trying to stop City fans climbing from the Rochdale Rd stand into the Ford stand paddock for about 15 mins with no help, probably due to fights everywhere else.

Once the ladder appeared it was a free for all and the sight of City fans hurling seats at the coppers who had retired to the side of the pitch was probably the most mass lawless thing off the top of my head I've seen with City.

Then 30 minutes after the game should have started- Mick McCarthy leads out City and applauds the City support. As you say lawless mate.

Oldham Good Friday 1984 was mental, they were just nicking anyone, a mate of mine was nicked and ended up in court even though he'd done nothing. After the game I saw stuff that still sickens me, cars being attacked, shops robbed. I don't know how society tolerated football fans in the 80s.

A bus traveling down the bypass near the ground had a scaffolding pole put through the windscreen that day. Would have decapitated the driver if it had hit him

Remember the Oldham game and the ladder very well. On the way in to our allocated end, there were Blues climbing over the wall, jibbing in for nowt. When we got in I can remember watching the ladder go up and I along with my mates stood there opened mouthed in disbelief. Does anyone on here know where the hell it came from? Also remember Derek Parlane in that game (think he scored). Now lives not far from me in Lytham, along with our Trevor and Colin Hendry, see them out and about in the pubs now and again. Sometimes see Bernard Halford in the Taps as well.

Back on topic, those games against Blackpool in the 80's were immense. The game where the roof came down above the paddock at the side of the pitch was mental.
Blues on the pitch, and pieces of asbestos being hurled like frisbees. Took my mate to the game and as a Preston fan he loved it. Absolutely no love lost between the "Nobenders" and the "Donkeylashers"

Remember the Oldham game and the ladder very well. On the way in to our allocated end, there were Blues climbing over the wall, jibbing in for nowt. When we got in I can remember watching the ladder go up and I along with my mates stood there opened mouthed in disbelief. Does anyone on here know where the hell it came from? Also remember Derek Parlane in that game (think he scored). Now lives not far from me in Lytham, along with our Trevor and Colin Hendry, see them out and about in the pubs now and again. Sometimes see Bernard Halford in the Taps as well.

Back on topic, those games against Blackpool in the 80's were immense. The game where the roof came down above the paddock at the side of the pitch was mental.
Blues on the pitch, and pieces of asbestos being hurled like frisbees. Took my mate to the game and as a Preston fan he loved it. Absolutely no love lost between the "Nobenders" and the "Donkeylashers"
If it was the same ladder it came down from the TV gantry in the Ford stand, landed in the paddock in front - one intrepid City fan had climbed up to the gantry and chucked the ladder down. That was one mental day, also remember the catering hut in the corner between the Rochdale Rd end and the Ford stand getting trashed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.