Corners (again)

Chippy_boy

Team supported
God's chosen team
Perhaps a bit ironic posting this after the Burnley game where we sort of scored from a corner.

However, I was thinking yesterday about how utterly shite we are at corners and it occurred to me, is it any wonder? We are a small side, apart from our centre halves. It's hardly likely that Silva, KDB, Nolito or Sterling are going to score a header when battling with your typical English defender, is it. Aguero's movement gives him some hope, but he isn't the greatest header in the world and he himself is not tall. OK, so perhaps Toure could offer something, but we don't have a Dzeko or a Balotelli in the side anymore (I have no clue whether Nacho is any good in the air or not).

So if we are firing corners in the air, our realistic hope comes from perhaps Stones or Otamendi heading a goal. But they are bloody hopeless in the air. In fact, it dawned on me that pretty much all of our players are. Our defenders can manage to head a ball clear, but give them the opportunity to score and they couldn't hit a fucking barn door, let alone the back of the net.

How many times do we see Otamendi bursting through and getting on the end of a cross, only to head it wide? It's like every single game. He's scored 1 from a header I seem to remember in some distant memory, but why are these guys so bad? When John Terry would go forward he offered a serious goal threat and would bag a few every season, and yet our defenders score more like 1 per decade. Do we even practice heading the ball, FFS???

(It's not helped by letting Silva take them - he's absolutely woeful and hits the first man half the time. KDB at least can put the ball in the right area, at pace.)

Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, and I agree: Whilst the situation is as it is, we should abandon aerial corners altogether. It's pointless. We just cannot do it and should give up. We should take short corners or fire them in low and give up on any aspiration of headed goals. Or practice heading the ball FFS.

Scored from one at Palace too, I was thinking we had improved a little, though I think its probably coincidence. What annoys me about corners is the fact we probably get the most in the league, and yet don't seem to focus on using that stat to our advantage.

Scored from one at Palace too, I was thinking we had improved a little, though I think its probably coincidence. What annoys me about corners is the fact we probably get the most in the league, and yet don't seem to focus on using that stat to our advantage.

We're just not physically geared up for it. We usually only have 1 or 2 tall players on the pitch, neither of whom could head a beachball. So it's not really a surprise we're shit at them.

We do score from corners frequently, its just that we often go backwards and sideways for around 10 mins after one before bagging!

We do score from corners frequently, its just that we often go backwards and sideways for around 10 mins after one before bagging!

True, so why bother firing it across in the air and risking losing possession. We should just take short corners and carry on as if the ball had not gone out.

Which is why we should be using them more cleverly than just humping in towards the penalty spot, we have done something different in the last 2 games, and scored twice, so maybe there has been a change in thought.

I live in hope ;-)

True, so why bother firing it across in the air and risking losing possession. We should just take short corners and carry on as if the ball had not gone out.

Dont give them any ideas mate.

As pointed out, we have so many corners, we have to look to make the most of them.

We're doing better this year than we have in the past 3.

That being said I'd rather see Bravo come up to take a corner than see Silva taking them. He's f**king terrible at them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.