COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
All a bit overblown, mate! If I have symptoms of COVID-19 and I have it, then I have been spreading the wealth across the country for about the past two weeks! Wearing a mask to go to the ER and asking them for the test isn’t going to threaten anyone. FWIW, I have premium (union contract, $800/mo) health care, so not worried about that!

NEWSFLASH: THIS IS NOT EBOLA...ITS NOT EVEN SARS...ITS A VIRUS WITH AN ELEVATED KILL RATE OVER THE REGULAR FLU, BUT 80% OF INFECTED PATIENTS HAVE MILD TO MODERATE EFFECTS AND NO LIFE THREATENING SYMPTOMS.

Tbh, I’m more concerned about the effect on my job than I am on my health! Company stock down 40% (21% this week), flights cut, pilots taking voluntary leave, others taking 33% monthly pay cuts to stay home (probably a 25-50% pay cut coming for me from reduced schedules in April), pay increases cancelled until at least July, hiring freeze, widebody international aircraft being brought into the domestic market for transcontinental and vacation locations still showing strength, etc, etc, etc...

So you have $800 PM health care. I assume that your employer pays that. What happens when you retire? Do you have to cover that with your pension?

And what happens to those who lose their jobs - do you have to start paying out straight away?

I have private healthcare here through work but beacuse we have the NHS it is not really a big issue. It just means that if i was to go into a hospital overnight then i would get to go to a nicer one. The basics of healthcare are always there.

All a bit overblown, mate! If I have symptoms of COVID-19 and I have it, then I have been spreading the wealth across the country for about the past two weeks! Wearing a mask to go to the ER and asking them for the test isn’t going to threaten anyone. FWIW, I have premium (union contract, $800/mo) health care, so not worried about that!

NEWSFLASH: THIS IS NOT EBOLA...ITS NOT EVEN SARS...ITS A VIRUS WITH AN ELEVATED KILL RATE OVER THE REGULAR FLU, BUT 80% OF INFECTED PATIENTS HAVE MILD TO MODERATE EFFECTS AND NO LIFE THREATENING SYMPTOMS.

Tbh, I’m more concerned about the effect on my job than I am on my health! Company stock down 40% (21% this week), flights cut, pilots taking voluntary leave, others taking 33% monthly pay cuts to stay home (probably a 25-50% pay cut coming for me from reduced schedules in April), pay increases cancelled until at least July, hiring freeze, widebody international aircraft being brought into the domestic market for transcontinental and vacation locations still showing strength, etc, etc, etc...

thats the pure definition of "im alright jack". Going into an ER when you think you have it is possibly exposing an emergency room to it, its possibly exposing lots of people in a weakened state that may not be able to fight it.

Also, Yes, 80% are "mild" cases, but that is still 20% that are hospital level cases, which is going to very very quickly overwhelm medical systems.

And "an elevated kill rate over flu", Flu has a mortality rate of about 0.05%, this is currently hitting 3.5%, 70x higher.

thats the pure definition of "im alright jack". Going into an ER when you think you have it is possibly exposing an emergency room to it, its possibly exposing lots of people in a weakened state that may not be able to fight it.

Also, Yes, 80% are "mild" cases, but that is still 20% that are hospital level cases, which is going to very very quickly overwhelm medical systems.

And "an elevated kill rate over flu", Flu has a mortality rate of about 0.05%, this is currently hitting 3.5%, 70x higher.
Think the mortality rate is probably lower as I guess there are plenty of cases not being reported as people have mild symptons and assume it is a cold etc

This is the most important part. While 80% will have few problems it means 20% have and the mild cases have a direct impact and duty to protect what is a pretty high level of serious cases. I do hope you are proved right and it is an overreaction by everyone, including the health experts.

Think the mortality rate is probably lower as I guess there are plenty of cases not being reported as people have mild symptons and assume it is a cold etc

Yeah, the London School of medicine's models were hitting about 1% a few weeks back.

thing is, China's tests ( according to the WHO ) didn't find the iceberg when they looked on the assumption that reported cases were just the tip of the ice berg.

Mentioned in here.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china

I am probably going to miss out on fulfiling an ambition in April, the chance probably wont come again. I suffer from a condition that keeps me virtually imprisoned during the winter and now it looks like I will be in the summer too....its a crock of shit mate. I am one of those who might not come out of the other end of this. Well tough shit there are lots worse off and if I miss out on a trip so be it.

Now for you given you fly you are in excellent health and have no great concerns other than maybe catching it and feeling shit for a week or two. Others are less fortunate, many are faced with the reality of gambling with their lives each time they set foot out of the door to go and buy food.

To put it bluntly attitudes like yours could quite possibly cost lives and prolong this thing beyond that pay rise in July. For you it might only be a snotty nose for millions of others it will be death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.