Danilo

Status
Not open for further replies.
all that matters. how people don't see this it's out of my mind. I'm not really a huge fan of Danilo but he is quite good cover and if he can play on the left too, it's perfectly reasonable buy. Wha the heck would anyone feel ashamed about that, about their price etc.. we are finally coming to the state where we'll have a good cover for each position, and people are ashamed. it's crazy.

Is the right answer....IMO.

Signing a 27-year old RB for 45m. And less than a week later a 26-year old RB for 26m. Feels like it's something you would do in football manager but not in real life.

Alves made more sense as a back-up. 34 year old who doesn't have to play every game. And in a year or two, you can give Maffeo a chance.

Now we are signing 2 expensive RB's supposed to enter their peaks.
I think we want to recreate the Clichy/Kolarov and Zabaleta/Sagna structure, where there's no first choice and both spots have genuine competition, but with options that are five years younger.

It seems Maffeo has no future with City now. Kyle & Danilo are 27 years old and should book this position for the next 5 years.
I don't think we will plan on having two 32 year old right backs after last season, they will not both be here for five years. Maffeo has two years left on his contract, my guess is that they will see how he does in a big boys league this year and either offer him a new contract with a view to bringing him back or sell him at the end of the year depending on his progress.

I'd argue the truly elite are and that's the level we want/need. I'll take your point though and say that's exactly where the loan system comes in. We're too big of a club now to take those unnecessary risks.

Why risk having him as our back up right back this season only to find out he's simply not ready and we drop points because of it? That would be for what? there's no reason to rush, we can and seemingly will wait until they've shown they're ready. We can loan him out, have a team that isn't under the kind of pressure and expectation to win everything that we're under take the risk for us and if he's good enough, fantastic, we bring him back in and he's ready to hit the ground running in our squad. If not, we dodged a potentially very costly bullet and we wait for somebody that is of the standard we require.

we have these kids tied down on long contracts, it's not a case of it's now or never, let them prove themselves then and only then will they get the chance based on merit not on a hunch.

In your opinion he's good enough, which is fine, but seemingly Pep, all his backroom staff and the development team seem to think otherwise. If he is good enough, what harm is an extra year or two away to show that at progressively higher levels going to do? Danilo isn't going to stop the development of Maffeo nor is any other signing going to stop any other kid developing, they'll do their developing elsewhere with no risk to our team and if they develop how we'd like they'll come back.

For arguments sake, lets say Maffeo has a storming season at Girona, performs at the level you think he's at and proves himself to be one of if not the best young right back around, he simply comes back next season and pushes out Danilo or Walker, whoever proves to be the weakest. We've shown many times in recent times we're not afraid to dump expensive signings if something better comes along, it's not like we're going to turn around and say, we've got a kid that's proven they're better than what we've got but we can't use him because we paid a lot of money for these two, we'll drop one in an instant.

Why do people always say that the whole staff agree with the manager of the day ? Have you asked them ?

Everyone apparently agreed with Pellegrini as well.

And I am not saying I think he's ready to be a full time senior player or that he's suitable for Pep's style. That's upto Pep.

I am saying I'm absolutely certain he was ready to be given more time than he has had, in the first team, two seasons ago. That isn't ready to replace the first choice fullbacks, it's ready to come on, hold his own & learn, which he absolutely proved at the swamp last season.

He could have done similar a year earlier imo, then perhaps Pep could have concentrated on his attacking game last season.

I think his attacking game is probablly not up to Pep's level. Neither is Sagna's or Clichy's. Zabba was clearly past it. They played, Maffeo didn't, but when he did play, he was better than most we had seen at rb. If he'd started a year earlier, Pep would know what he was dealing with.

Kids are never ready. They are an exciting, flawed, adittion to a squad. Sané & Jesus weren't ready, they had & still have, a load of flaws, as does Stones at 20 odd after seasons of top level football. Sterling had loads of flaws when he came in at Liverpool. So did all the raglets under Ferguson. Rashford now has more flaws than things he does right, & plays for England.

It takes a bit of balls to try them & find out. Pellegrini had none & didn't care.

Pep has, but is left with very few known quantities at 19-20 years, to work with.

Danilo is an easier choice.

Honestly just not sure Maffeo is really Pep's sort of rightback, he'd do a job defensively but not convinced he's really got the attacking game or pace. Angelino looked far more like a Pep type fullback but he seems to have joined Barker in just completely falling to shit

You are probably right but it would be nice to have found out.

Given that two of last summer's signings (Bravo and Nolito) were not/have not been a roaring success, and the fact that another (Gundogan) is as yet unproven in terms of his fitness, what likelihood is there that all the full back signings in this window will break that pattern? If we did sign Walker, Danilo, Mendy, and Bertrand, then I would expect us to have an abundance of options this season, but I would suspect at least one of them not to work out. At that point, it makes sense to have someone like Maffeo in the wings.

Yeah I agree with this. The article from Sam Lee was very good, about how Pep wanted him at Bayern, he must clearly see a lot of untapped potential there. Hoping we can get this over the line quickly.

Really, Pep wanted him at Bayern ?

Must have a good idea what he's going to use him for then. Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.