Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot of business is done behind closed doors etc, but I'd love to see us offer the same money to Barcelona for De Jong, even if it's just to shake the tree and see what comes loose.

He might say he's not interested in moving, but that stance might change if suddenly they're trying to push him out.

West Ham and/or Rice might realise we have other options and it's not going to be a straight bidding war vs. Arsenal.

Other teams might get involved and kick off a merry-go-round - FDJ to Bayern? Where does Kimmich fit in after that etc.

You'd imagine behind the scenes we may have explored options to sign De Jong and Kimmich but there's no interest. Going old school and putting cash on the table could change things, would be worth a shot, but we don't really seem interested in playing the game that way. Get the player on board, lodge a bid, revise it slightly if we feel it's still a fair value or move on.

Bellingham has huge potential and is a box to box powerhouse. Rice I also see as being that player, if moulded correctly. Great speed, excellent technique to dribble the ball and someone who would enable De Bruyne, Foden and even Alvarez to play close to Haaland and give us that balance. I don't see Rodri as doing it, he's too good at running the game and he rarely carries the ball. Stones did more of it in the CL final, and generally when moving into the middle from CB.

Our next target is probably completely leftfield but under Pep's mastery will be just what we need.

You are right but he had two targets and the clubs not been able to deliver either. We may pull a rabbit out of the hat this window but I very much doubt it. I do think it’s a gamble re Phillips I saw nothing from him in the few minutes he played last season, in particular his performance at Soton when he started was woeful. As a few have said - others who have struggled in their first season have shown glimpses of what’s to come But, Phillips didn’t but maybe he didn’t get enough minutes. Something that will alarm Pep was Phillips ball retention against Chelsea at home.
I think most City fans are quite sanguine about this - we all rate Declan Rice, but think £105m is over the top. With Regard to Kalvin Phillips, yes he was completely underwhelming, but Rodri, Mahrez, Silva, Cancelo and especially Grealish, all had poor first seasons too ? With the exceptions of Haaland and Dias, everyone seems to take a full season to get used to Pep's methods. In a recent interview, Phillips said he's found it really difficult but was on the verge of "getting it" with the style. Hopefully he'll kick on - when playing at his best, he's not far short of Rice.

I know it goes against everything that’s been reported in the last couple of days, but I’ve always been told that this wasn’t ever close.

I honestly don’t think Rice is a player who we need.

In my opinion we need to keep Bernardo, bring Phillips up to speed, trust Foden more in a central role, and strengthen the right wing. Kovacic will just slot in like he’s been here for 5 years

It was close. We put in a bid that was better than Arsenal‘s. If Arsenal had pulled out of the bid or merely tweaked it on terms we could better, then Rice would have been at City.

Not close is when you don’t make a bid.

So disappointing. No Bellingham now not even Rice. With Gundo gone on top of that we’ll be weaker next season. Better hope Rodri never gets injured, he’s going to have to play about 60 games.

Really fucking gutted we pulled out of this just over a few more million. This is the summer we should have really gone for it, as Treble winners, not let bloody rivals catch up. Fucking shite. Fuck off arsenal.

Not bothered about Rice but another midfielder to help Rodri was a must.

Unlikely to bring in another midfielder. Fully expect to hear that the club is happy with the options they have got.

Which means Phillips has to step up, however it's a huge drop in quality from Rodri to him so expecting Rodri to be flogged to death again and Stones in midfield. Let's hope neither get injured.
Can we stop with this nonsense about flogging Rodri. Rodri plays every game because hes the best in the world in his position. Every single game is important and in important games you play your best games, its very simple. Look at how many games the likes of Busquets, Kimmich and Messi used to play for Pep. He doesn't just rotate for the sake of it.

We weren't signing Rice to stick him on the bench just in case anything happens to Rodri. He was coming straight into the first 11.

I know it goes against everything that’s been reported in the last couple of days, but I’ve always been told that this wasn’t ever close.

I honestly don’t think Rice is a player who we need.

In my opinion we need to keep Bernardo, bring Phillips up to speed, trust Foden more in a central role, and strengthen the right wing. Kovacic will just slot in like he’s been here for 5 years
Yep its more pivotal that city get a winger now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.